Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage Underwriting.

(4 Posts)
obimomkanobi Wed 12-Sep-07 15:06:30

Hi, DH and I are first time buyers. We applied for a mortgage in June, got an agreement in principle, the lender did their valuation/survey...all was fine. The mortgage application/paperwork went to the underwriters nearly 3 weeks ago and we were told that the mortgage offer would be out asap.

However, we still don't have the mortgage offer and our broker is being quite evasive. We've had excuses about the postal strike earlier in the summer causing a backlog/delays and the 'credit crunch' meaning that underwriters had been deployed to other tasks.

I actually don't care any more whether we buy this bloody house or not, but any advice/other people's experience would be appreciated!

MrsPuddleduck Wed 12-Sep-07 15:44:00

Seems too long to me although it can depend on who you are going to use and the product (I know Cheshire BS were taking ages a couple of weeks ago).

You could always phone the lender direct and see how far they have got with the application. You are their customer so they will be happy to speak to you.

LilyLoo Wed 12-Sep-07 21:07:37

My dp a broker and he says 3 weeks isn't reasonable to be fair. Although he says there are some backlogs around and to ring your lender and see where your at. He has an ad on here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/1930/382459 if things don't move on.

BigGitDad Fri 14-Sep-07 12:15:17

Phone the mortgage company direct if I were you. Sounds like they are awaiting more info from the broker and he has not passed it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now