Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Would it be within my rights to say they have to supply me with a fridge?

(3 Posts)
ScoobyDooooo Tue 11-Sep-07 13:44:52

Our fridge decided to stop working about 12 days ago, we are in a rented property & the frdge was here when we toke the place on.

Anyway phoned the agent who spoke to landlord who said if it was something to do with the rim of the fridge & they called an engineer they would bill me, i put them straight there saying i was not a fridge macanic!

Anyway eventually they phoned an enigineer who could not come till today, he has been & has said it is some fan thing or something that needs replacing i now have to wait a week to 10 days for the part.

In the meantime we have no fridge, have you tried living wihtout one it is hard, especially when i need to ds his school lunch & dinners etc.
We have been keeping milk in cold water over night & buying 2 pints daily.

Surly i can not be expected to go on like this for another 7-10 days? what would you do? the reality is it is costing a fortune buying food everyday to cook & we have to small children, we need a fridge, am i within my rights to demand they do something about supplying a fridge for the time being or do i just have to "cope"

Any ideas?

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 11-Sep-07 14:23:52

I dont think he has any obligation to provide you with another fridge whilst the part arrives for the broken one. He's unlikely to be able to hire one and, if it was me, unwilling to purchase another one to cover just a 7-10 day period.

However, if he has more than one rented property he may have an empty house which he could switch fridges with. Might be worth asking if thats the case.

deepbreath Tue 18-Sep-07 10:15:43

Have you got a Freecycle group in your area?

Fridges come up on ours quite often, or you could put on a wanted post. People on ours rally round to help if it's for an essential like this.

It might not be perfect, but it'll be free and would tide you over until yours gets sorted.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now