Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is there a professional body I can complain to about this junk mail.

(7 Posts)
islandofsodor Tue 11-Sep-07 12:50:16

We got this at work today.

"We act for your former employee who alleges automatic unfair dismissal after raising issues of non compliance by (name of our company) with h & s legislation. We expect compensation to reach the upper threshold of £60,600......we have reported the matter to the h & s Executive with a request that it considers a criminal prosecution against (name of our company)"

Don't panic!I am pleased to invite you to participate in a special series of training events, the aim of which is to make sure that you avoid or sucesessfully defend this sort of claim.

etc etc advertising the employmenr law services this company provides.

We have had two of these letters. Both spell the name of the MD incorrectly in a way that I happen to know is from a mis-spelt entry in Thompson Directory. Another mispells the name of the company in a similar sounding way.

We do have an employment claim pending but it is to do with an accident an employee was involved in and the h & S exec were informed atthe time and the employee was not dismissed, unfairly or otherwise. This is scare tactics at its worst.

The firm is calld EllisWhittam & Partners LLP. Is there a professional body I can complain to.

McEdam Tue 11-Sep-07 12:53:24

I have a vague memory that there is an industry body for direct mail - try googling.

Very poor taste that letter. Plus they must have realised some firms would be dealing with claims re accidents and this might cause confusion.

On the upside, just goes to show how important spelling is. Poor spelling is often a sign that something is not on the level - certainly for direct mail and for internet scare stories.

Lilymaid Tue 11-Sep-07 13:12:32

I think your firm could tell him what they think of it via this blog. He does ask for comment!

islandofsodor Tue 11-Sep-07 13:31:50

wink

popmum Tue 11-Sep-07 13:55:57

sounds like a law firm so try the law society

BetsyBoop Tue 11-Sep-07 18:36:32

perhaps try this organisation

I think the Law Society only look at complaints about your solicitor (ie someone you have paid to do workl for you etc)

islandofsodor Wed 19-Sep-07 22:53:05

Well we got 2 letters at work today, one from the ASA saying they looing into it and one from ELLIS Whittam saying they have sent another mailing to everyone as a crusial sentence was missed out whihc would have made it clear this was only an example of what might happen.

Sounds to me like others have complained too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now