Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can you have weekly direct debits or standing orders ??

(7 Posts)
nutcracker Sun 09-Sep-07 12:07:14

I keep falling behind with my water payments. I am supposed to pay £12 a week, either with payment book or over internet, but when I am short of money which is all of the time, I tend to use that money and intend to pay double the week after but don't.

I think if I had a dd or standing order then i'd make sure I didn't touch the money, as I never miss any of my dd payments at all.

Can you have them weekly though ?? All of my other are monthly.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 09-Sep-07 12:19:14

DD's are requested by the company - they could set one up weekly but it will cost them 13 times more a year, so they are unlikely to want to - but ask them

SO's are set up by you (with your bank) and actioned by your bank, assuming you have free banking it won't cost you and you can do it weekly if you want to.

ivykaty44 Sun 09-Sep-07 12:35:07

You could always set up a so to another seperate account for all your bills and then have all your bills/so paid from that account.

I have two accounts one for bills and one for spending, each pay day the money transfers by so directly into my bill account for the moth and what is left I have to spend. Just add all your bills up for the year and divide by either 52 or 12 and put this amount away each payday. I dont have a debit card or cheque book for my bills account so cant touch the money unless I pyhsicaly go to the bank and transephere the money.

biglips Sun 09-Sep-07 12:36:15

everything is paid thru DD as im so hopeless remembering to pay!!

nutcracker Sun 09-Sep-07 13:01:26

I could do the seperate bill account yeah, although I get paid weekly, as i'm currently on benefits.

God i hate being grown up and responsible sometimes lol.

scienceteacher Sun 09-Sep-07 16:58:31

From a banking point of view, there is no problem with weekly standing orders.

nutcracker Sun 09-Sep-07 17:00:41

Thanks smile

I think I am going to see if I can set up an account just for my bills, that way I can just pay the money in when ever I need to and not worry about it.

I'm so sick of having stuff going out all over the place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now