Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

ARGH RBS

(13 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Mon 03-Sep-07 21:33:54

RBS 'earmarked' money on friday that wasn't due to come out until monday leaving my account balance at £0. I applied for an extension to my overdraft on Sat and was told that it would be applied within 48 hours...still nothing! Have got next to nothing in foodwise, i have no wipes and DS2 has 1 nappy left coz i can't order a bastarding tecso shopangry i have money going in tomo but i cant get to shops untillate afternoon (no car and ds1 at school in am-won't have time to drop him shop and get back in time)

potty traing tomo i think<sigh>

angryangryangry

SaintGeorge Mon 03-Sep-07 21:41:08

Much sympathy, but not the banks fault so not much point in getting angry at them, 'tis just a waste of energy.

MerlinsBeard Mon 03-Sep-07 21:44:29

i know its not their fault really but usually i can order my shop on a saturday to arrive on a tuesday and the tuesday money covers it(following?!) but haven;t been able to do it coz they stole form me

ok, they didn't steal, its my fault fr having no money but i want to strop

SaintGeorge Mon 03-Sep-07 21:48:43

You should still be able to do that, your card isn't debited until the money leaves your account.

You had items coming out on the monday morning, legally you have to have it in your account at close of business on the previous banking day.

Sorry, but I used to work in the lending department of a big bank and often had people blaming the bank, ranting on the phone about stuff like this. I still get defensive about it blush

MerlinsBeard Mon 03-Sep-07 21:53:12

i can't order online from tesco unless there is at least 1p in my account. i can understand your defensiveness StG so will let you off(this oncewink)

ooooh, different card number to the last time i ordered...wonder if that makes a difference?

Linnet Mon 03-Sep-07 21:54:40

I thought if money was due to come out of your account on a Monday they couldn't legally take it before Monday?

SaintGeorge Mon 03-Sep-07 21:56:31

Wow, never come across that before. By rights they shouldn't be accessing your account until the items are put through the till, so your account balance when you place the order shouldn't be relevant.

MerlinsBeard Mon 03-Sep-07 21:59:27

thats what i thought but has always been the case when i order form there. would try elsewhere but i can get more from my money at tesco!

have also never had the issue of earmarking money before

SaintGeorge Mon 03-Sep-07 21:59:30

Linnet - they haven't actually taken the money, they have simply accounted for it.

You are always supposed to have adequate credit to cover any payments due out at the start of that business day, so technically at close of business the day before.

Even if you go in to a branch and pay in cash the same day a payment is out, the bank have the right to charge you as if you had gone overdrawn anyway. They rarely do, but they have the right.

MerlinsBeard Mon 03-Sep-07 22:00:48

"You are always supposed to have adequate credit to cover any payments due out at the start of that business day, so technically at close of business the day before."

that explains why it was earmarked on the friday. my branch isn't open at weekend!

SaintGeorge Mon 03-Sep-07 22:02:23

'Set aside' happens all the time, just that if you are in credit you don't tend to notice it. It only becomes apparent when you are near £0 / overdraft limit.

I always try to make sure that anything due out is always a day or 2 at least after any money due in IYSWIM, so that I don't get caught out by weekends and holidays.

SaintGeorge Mon 03-Sep-07 22:03:22

Even if your branch was open on Saturday, it would have still happened on Friday. Saturday banking always goes onto the books as happening on a Monday, as does anything after 3.30pm Friday.

Linnet Mon 03-Sep-07 22:04:10

oh I see, sorry I misunderstood I didn't pay attention to the word 'earmarked'. I know exactly what you mean now, I've noticed it in my RBS account, if I've been using my switch card the balance is always less even though the money hasn't gone out yet.

I thought you meant they had actually taken it, iykwim.
I'll be quiet now, lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now