Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What would be reasonable maintanence payments?

(10 Posts)
pjsmum Tue 28-Aug-07 09:29:12

DP and I have separated. I have no idea what would be a reasonable amount for him to pay for DD. He earns £43k +, has another property of which he gets rent for ( and is selling with £70k+ equity) He has said he will for mortgage until it sells and will will give me £80 a week for dd. However i pay £650 nursery fees a month and earns less than him and will obviously have to get own mortgage etc now. Is £80 enough or do I/can i ask for more? I have no idea. Thanks

hana Tue 28-Aug-07 09:45:48

isn't it a percentage of his income? £80 doesn't seem like very much

pjsmum Tue 28-Aug-07 09:48:16

I've just done a calculation on CSA website they estimated £98 a week. But thats just over half her nursery fees. Can I expect half her fees and then then living expenses too? I have no idea about this all I know is that I want to punch his lights out!!

TequilaMockinBird Tue 28-Aug-07 09:50:19

You may get help towards the nursery fees from tax credits. Have you checked their website to see if you would qualify?

FioFio Tue 28-Aug-07 09:50:59

Message withdrawn

pjsmum Tue 28-Aug-07 10:20:22

My sister is a solicitor so she is getting someone from her company for me. I've just rung child tax credits and they are sending forms in post. Just feel thatthis is a bloke who will have no mortgage etc to pay once house is sold, so why should dd live a crappy lifestyle when her dad is well off. bloody nightmare!

TequilaMockinBird Tue 28-Aug-07 10:26:40

PJsmum, I would still check the online tax credit calculator just to see how much you could be getting from them.

I know how you feel about your XP though, I had to fight with my XP and the CSA to get £10 a week maintenance for our DD! While we scrape by on my wages, he has 4 holidays a year, is out every weekend, has all the latest designer gear etc.!

It's not right and it makes me very angry too!

hi pjsmum I hope it all works out for you. why can men be so unreasonable. My sister split with her two childrens father about 7 years ago.They were never married ( as he cancelled it)he has never paid a penny resulting in sister recieving benefits which she hates.When csa got involved he quit his job so he wouldnt have to pay and she recieved a letter stating something ridiculous like £4 a week per child.To add further insult he quit his job again.We know he works on the side (farmer) he has been seen in tractors by kids.But says he stays at home and looks after his new baby while new partner works.This man was granted parental responsibility recently and ordered to see children on a regular basis after being absent for years.

I say 'this man' as I honestlt do not think he deserves to be called dad. Having said that I dont think 'man' is appropriate either.hmm

Harra Tue 28-Aug-07 16:16:14

Hi PJ,
i had a nightmare with my ex. Bascically you should get 15% of his earnings - so 15% of £43K plus 15% of the net income from his rental property. But as he has equity as well (his other property). If this is over £65K then this should be treated as income. For example his property is worth £200K - his equity is £100K - £35K (ie £100K- £65K) is equity. 8% of that should be treated as income - £2,800. Very complicated and you need to fill out a variation form for the CSA - if you use them. I had huge problems, my ex had lots of rental properties over £1.3 million and 'no job' he was 'setting up his own business'. Originally the CSA gave him a nil assessment. After countless phonecalls, 5 months, 2 letters, to the chief executive of the CSA I get £78 per week. He should pay for things like child care on top - well half of it anyway - whether he will or not. My ex won't as he doesn't want to use childcare - but that is another story. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now