Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

i think my bank has stopped my card?

(18 Posts)
LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 22-Aug-07 22:23:22

couldnt book my shopping earlier, went to get cash out of the machine and it wouldnt let me either.

i phoned banks this morning when it wouldnt let my shopping go through and they said there was no issue with it.

so what is going on? there is plenty in there.

Kif Wed 22-Aug-07 22:38:08

old card? have they recently issues a new one?

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 22-Aug-07 22:38:47

its a new card.

i used it a lot yesterday and paid bills etc, but still plenty in there.

SlightlyMadStar Wed 22-Aug-07 22:40:40

Sometimes if there is unusual activity on the account they will stop it until they have contacted you. They should have known about this though when you rang.

It happened to my mum when she got a windfall and went on a spending spree. She was to have her card stopped but appreciated that they were only doing it to protect her.

ScoobyDooooo Wed 22-Aug-07 22:41:14

If the card had been cancelled & you put it in a cash machine the machine would have taken the card & not give it back i think.

I would call your bank again & explain what is happening it seems a bit weird!

LadyOfTheFlowers Wed 22-Aug-07 22:41:34

if you used it a lot, there may well be a security hold on it.
if your spending suddenly changes, they will stop all payments as it is being used in a similar way to cards are used when stolen.
usually, different departments deal with security holds and normal sort of holds, so if you ring again, it may be worth usggesting this yourself then they will put you thru to get the hold lifted.

(used to be a personal wanker, i mean banker btw!)

noddyholder Wed 22-Aug-07 22:42:14

Did you take out yuor max?

JARM Wed 22-Aug-07 22:42:44

Misdee, email me a list of what you want/need and i will sort it while you get the card sorted x

Kif Wed 22-Aug-07 22:42:47

I once had my card declined... when I was buying my car

The banks computers had gone down for three hours...

sparklygothkat Wed 22-Aug-07 22:46:27

if you have spent a large amount in one day they do stop the card, when I was paying off large amounts they stopped my card at barclays

BabiesEverywhere Wed 22-Aug-07 22:47:23

Is it an Abbey card ?

I ask as I had this trouble the last two weeks running at my local Tesco. Both times I knew I had money in my account and yet the machines refused my card.

Both times I got the staff to ring for authorisation and do a manual swipe for my shopping and there was several other people at the customer desk also with Abbey cards also complaining.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 22-Aug-07 22:50:42

yes its abbey.

its annoying will call them again tomorrow.

BabiesEverywhere Wed 22-Aug-07 22:53:15

Let me know if you find anything out

LadyVictoriaOfCake Thu 23-Aug-07 09:28:45

fraid department stopped it, due to a lot of internet transactions in one day. well there was 10

it now working again

lizziemun Thu 23-Aug-07 10:43:07

They did this to DH when he bought his flat screen, because of the value of the transaction.

They explained because it was a lot higher then he would normally spend

I gald it sorted now, although i don't understand why they didn't contact you yesterday.

BigGitDad Thu 23-Aug-07 10:48:41

Had my NatWest card swallowed last friday and I had money in the account tnen. I rang NatWest aho said someone had cancelled the card! Well it certainly was not me who did that, so I was very confused. Then a new card turned up yesterday.
Sometimes some machines will not read some cards full stop, it does happen occasionally to me.

AttilaTheMum Fri 24-Aug-07 20:29:46

I took DD on a shopping spree a while ago for her birthday present - after a while I got asked to speak on the phoie to the card co. & then the next transaction was refused - apparently NatWest have a limit of 10 transactions. Unfortunately as DH was the 'official' cardholder & I couldn't get hold of him I had to stop spending...sad

FioFio Fri 24-Aug-07 20:31:11

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now