Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

i hate money [angry]

(57 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 21:03:00

actually, more to the point, i hate having NO money.

All the bills are red, the phone is ringin almost constantly with people asking for money i have already written to them to tell them we havent got. our debts are crippling us, we need to move before the end of the year or there is a very real possibility we will be homeless shortly after new year, we need a car,washer and tumble dryer are ontheir last legs, i need to do some serious shopping...no not the nice kind, the food kind!

oh and DPs account has been frozen becauase we think it was cloned which means even if we had money to pay bills we couldn't because it all goes from his account

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

sorry, i don't want any replies, i just needed to get that out

MaureenMLove Wed 22-Aug-07 21:06:13

Message withdrawn

MatNanPlus Wed 22-Aug-07 21:08:12

for you, no help at all but wanted you to know you were heard.

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 22-Aug-07 21:13:08

well I'm going to reply anyhow - as exactly 2yrs ago we were where you are now. We were 4 months behind on the mortgage, all other bills were (well) into the red and this very week 2yrs ago I had £15 to do a weeks worth of shopping (including nappies). We were looking to see how much the rental market was in view of selling up (before we got repossessed) and moving from our spacious 3 bedroom victorian end of terrace to a 2 bedroom flat. DH's credit card was over it's limit - and frozen.

There is light at the end of the tunnel - we're still in our own home (same one), we've nearly finished off paying the mortgage arrears (eventually persauded them - with the help of CAB to let us pay a little extra each month on our regular payments until he'd repayed the arrears. The credit card and gas/electricity finally agreed to a reduced payment plan (gas and electricity got back into credit just before Christmas last year, CC now onto "normal" repayments as that figure is now lower than the set amount we agreed with them). I've got one more payment to make on another debt then it's cleared (another one where we hammered at them until they finally agreed a reduced figure).

Things are tight atm (I'm on maternity leave so SMP instead of normal wage) - but we're completely back on track and when I think how awful it was 2yrs ago (I'm sure there's plenty of my threads in teh archives about it) I can't believe that we've managed to come through it - and didn't lose anything!

Theclosetpagan Wed 22-Aug-07 21:13:24

. Can honestly sympathise - my DH is self employed - in the school system, so as you can imagine August has been hard.

I hate having no money too. Have just had to borrw £50 from MIL to last us until the 30th when I get paid again. Petrol and food shopping have said goodbye to that.

When people ring to ask you for money - if you've already explained the situation then I suggest putting them on hold - stick the phone on mute and go off for a coffee - guarentee they won't be there when you get back.

MaureenMLove Wed 22-Aug-07 21:24:09

Message withdrawn

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 21:25:56

QoQ, nice to know someone has made it thru. we don't have the option of selling up as we rent. we actually need somewhere bigger...i am og and squeeze 3 children in a box room!

i havenlt anyone to lend money from and just remembered that sky are switching us off next week. we are currently on their free to air thing but its only temp until either we pay or they shut us of. no other way of getting the tv here.

only still have internet as they seem to have forgotten all about us paying them!

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 21:26:30

x posts maureen, my interent explorer shut itself down!

Theclosetpagan Wed 22-Aug-07 21:31:03

Interesting regarding the internet - ours is with Tescos and they haven't had any payment for nearly a year - no reminders - nothing. Yet here I am on line. We are putting the payment away each month in case they notice - so far they have not though.

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 21:33:44

ours comes off barclaycard...throwback from when we were skint and forgot to change back...they have NO chance of having it back!

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 22-Aug-07 21:36:01

Gas/Electric we did on our own - CAB just helped to sort out the Mortgage.

I'm just checking back through the search for some of my threads - all a bit hazy now

here is the first one.

and here is the 2nd one where I got is sorted (

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 21:37:57

can't change gas/elec...we live above the shop that our landlord works in. we just spit elec inhalf and we aren't allowed to change supplier.

just feels as if the whole world is stealing money that i don't have!

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 22-Aug-07 21:38:19

MoM - ahh - yes I guess renting already it's a bit different. But although "details" are hazy (hence the reason I searched for the threads on it) the memory of the feelings and general despair is still there so I can appreciate what you're going through .

jennijo Wed 22-Aug-07 21:40:52

Just so you know, I am the person further down the thread, but I've changed my name, as my rl best friend may 'look' for me when she's home from her holiday tomorrow! I'm the one who also need support! Those two posts 'should' be deleted soon!

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 21:41:14

thanks QoQ. its reassuring to know someone has got thru.

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 21:41:15

thanks QoQ. its reassuring to know someone has got thru.

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 21:42:11

on this thread jj?

jennijo Wed 22-Aug-07 21:42:11

How far did it get with electric before you admitted you were in trouble? I'm close to being cut off.

jennijo Wed 22-Aug-07 21:42:58

Yes! I'm still there, I was your first reply!

ruddynorah Wed 22-Aug-07 21:43:44

u split your elec in half with a shop?

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 21:43:50

i thought so ,w ill rememeber

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 21:45:43

RN, its not a shop as in lots of neons and tills going. without giving too much away, there are about 4 strip lights on (10 if the main office is being used)and 2 PCs from 9-5 every weekday. it actually saves us money (apparently) as they get it on business rates and end up paying some of ours too

Dropdeadfred Wed 22-Aug-07 21:46:34

and i have namechanged but i think you once pined after a bit of makeup...i was that person...

ruddynorah Wed 22-Aug-07 21:47:32

ok, phew!

jennijo Wed 22-Aug-07 21:47:33

So whats your plan then MOM? Have you got one? I just keep burying my head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now