Page 9 | Universal credit. Joke!

(212 Posts)
Mo3gic Thu 28-Nov-19 18:53:04

So my partner works, we have 3 girls and receive universal credit. I can not believe how much of a joke this system is. “We make it easier to work” is their crap logo. They don’t! My partner works 24hours per week, if he goes over this they deduct it from UC. My partners wages literally pay for the car finance, and car expenses. He’s left with £50 to go towards any bills or shopping. So all the bills get paid from UC. This month is our last payment before Xmas. Once we have paid our rent bills. We are left with £14! That’s right. £14! To buy gas and electric for the month as we are on prepayment metres. To pay for my bus fare to take girls to school. And to buy shopping for a month for 5 people. Then let’s not forget Xmas is around the corner. We can’t even afford to buy the girls presents. I could say to my partner go work as many hours as you can, but then they will deduct it all from UC, which you think well he’s earned it back anyway. No because then work tax him so he loses quite a bit. But then UC decide oh no he’s earned too much this month so we will close your account down as your not entitled to it. So then we get nothing of them, and what my partner has earned isn’t even to cover the rent. Just frustrated with the crap system. I’m trying desperately to get job, I get interviews but then don’t succeed in securing the job. Then childcare is an issue as there isn’t really any childminders at the school and the schools childcare doesn’t have spaces. Is this just me or is anyone else in the same boat? I real feel like I’m losing the will to carry on, just everyday scrimping and scraping, trying to pay bills and put food on the table. We have never used a food bank but it’s really getting to the point we’re going to have to.

OP’s posts: |
Biglumpycustard Mon 02-Dec-19 22:41:50

I hate uc, it's just a crap system. My partner works full time and gets paid weekly and I work part time and get paid 4 weekly. When there is 5 weeks in between our dates we get 0 and same again when I'm paid twice in our period. It's just shit,we are worse off.

MiniMum97 Mon 02-Dec-19 23:38:43

They don't deduct all his wages. They will deduct 63p of every pound he earns over your work allowance of £287pcm (assuming you get help towards rent). If not your work allowance is much higher. A Work allowance is the amount you can earn without it affecting your UC at all. You get this because you have children.

There are a lot if problems with UC but it's actually quite a generous benefit for people in work. They are often better off.

The calculation you mention - ie being better off working fewer hours can't be correct as that's not how UC is calculated(works.

You will be entitled to various elements

A joint standard element of £498.89, plus two or three child elements depending on when your children were born, plus a housing element to cover your rent up to the local housing allowance (assuming you are in private rented). You can then earn up to £287 pcm without it affecting your UC at all. Anything earned over that is deducted at 63%.

So it doesn't make sense that you are better off on UC than in work.

Babyroobs Tue 03-Dec-19 17:40:20

Biglumpycustard - If you are paid 4 weekly then there is only one month of the year where you get paid twice in your assessment period. You get paid extra for the other eleven months. You'd get the same UC as someone on the same salary getting paid monthly it's just that your wages are divided between 13 pay days rather than 12 so you get more on all the other months as less wages paid !

ToCaden Thu 05-Dec-19 21:57:31

Can't be exact as I don't know your rent, etc. However with three kids, even if you're hit with the two child cap it'd take over 2k earnings within the month to nil your UC as you imply as happened to you in some assessment periods. Closer to 3k depending on rent, and possibly more than this if you're getting help with childcare.

Have you considered carefully logging your income and outgoings to see where this money has gone?

As others have said for every extra pound you earn UC only deducts a fraction of that pound from your UC, and this is after the work allowance. So the more you work the more income you get overall.

thebadcop Fri 06-Dec-19 06:24:06

I am gobsmacked. you have 3 DC, non of you is disabled and your partner works 24h and you moan about UC?

you should both be working (full time if need be) if you cannot afford a living sitting all day at home.

Doingitaloneandproud Fri 06-Dec-19 06:35:48

Well I'm glad as a full time working single mum I'm paying for you to spend time with your children hmm This is what is wrong with the system, we all would like to spend time with our children and not work but then who would pay?!

I'm proud to teach my child a good work ethic, and that things don't get handed on a plate. Your partner should work full time and if you can't manage drop the sky and change the car.

kevintheorangecarrot Fri 06-Dec-19 07:21:32

A family of 7 and he only works part time? And you're expecting UC to top up his income? I think that is what's wrong with this country. You choosing to have 5 children is not the governments fault. Unfortunately for you, he will just have to work full time and you will also have to find work to fit around the children. That's the way it is.

kevintheorangecarrot Fri 06-Dec-19 07:22:13

Sorry. I mean a family of 5, not 7!

marryme124 Wed 25-Dec-19 21:21:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Arnoldthecat Thu 26-Dec-19 13:43:08

I usually work around 40 hours a week. This can include a saturday or a sunday,a bank holiday and/or anti social hours as i work in an essential service industry.

MissB19 Wed 05-Feb-20 12:23:41

Hi Ladies,

I really hope you can help. Can someone advise what the cut of point is for income or hours of work so i can still get UC? I am looking for a job atm but my part time wage wouldnt support me and my 9 month old daughter. I am hoping to work and get UC support to 'top it up'.

thanks in advance xxx

PityParty4one Wed 05-Feb-20 16:52:34

UC doesnt have an hours cut off.

It's based on your monthly income and who lives in the house.

How old are you.
What is your rent and is it private or social housing?
Any childcare costs?
What is the monthly wage expected to be?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in