Page 2 | Universal credit. Joke!

(212 Posts)
Mo3gic Thu 28-Nov-19 18:53:04

So my partner works, we have 3 girls and receive universal credit. I can not believe how much of a joke this system is. “We make it easier to work” is their crap logo. They don’t! My partner works 24hours per week, if he goes over this they deduct it from UC. My partners wages literally pay for the car finance, and car expenses. He’s left with £50 to go towards any bills or shopping. So all the bills get paid from UC. This month is our last payment before Xmas. Once we have paid our rent bills. We are left with £14! That’s right. £14! To buy gas and electric for the month as we are on prepayment metres. To pay for my bus fare to take girls to school. And to buy shopping for a month for 5 people. Then let’s not forget Xmas is around the corner. We can’t even afford to buy the girls presents. I could say to my partner go work as many hours as you can, but then they will deduct it all from UC, which you think well he’s earned it back anyway. No because then work tax him so he loses quite a bit. But then UC decide oh no he’s earned too much this month so we will close your account down as your not entitled to it. So then we get nothing of them, and what my partner has earned isn’t even to cover the rent. Just frustrated with the crap system. I’m trying desperately to get job, I get interviews but then don’t succeed in securing the job. Then childcare is an issue as there isn’t really any childminders at the school and the schools childcare doesn’t have spaces. Is this just me or is anyone else in the same boat? I real feel like I’m losing the will to carry on, just everyday scrimping and scraping, trying to pay bills and put food on the table. We have never used a food bank but it’s really getting to the point we’re going to have to.

OP’s posts: |
Antigonads Thu 28-Nov-19 19:36:12

With the best will in the world you can’t have one adult working part time and supporting a family of 5 unless he is in a very well paid job.

Babyroobs Thu 28-Nov-19 19:37:40

No one should be told on Uc to work 24 hours, I'm guessing an adviser is getting confused with the working tax credits rules where a couple had to work the ridiculously low amount of 24 hours between them to qualify.

carolina21 Thu 28-Nov-19 19:40:27

If you can afford sky???
Honestly ?

Babyroobs Thu 28-Nov-19 19:40:36

How often does your partner get paid - could he have been paid twice in your assessment period ( it will happen once a year if paid four weekly), which would mean Uc could be cancelled out?

Mo3gic Thu 28-Nov-19 19:40:50

@myhorsemyfreedom what is dh, sham, tc?

Chattybum Thu 28-Nov-19 19:41:00

Well life is a trade off isn't it.
Your choices have been;

1. You are at home for your children full time, he is at home most of the time, but you don't have much disposal income between but you also don't have any childcare costs.

2. You bought a car you couldn't afford on finance you couldn't afford. You could have bought a cheap run around that you could afford.

3. You decided to have more children that means you couldn't go back to work sooner rather than later, bit you got the family you wanted.

Universal credit is to keep you warm, fed and a roof over your head. Your difficulties are coming from your choices, not UC I think.

Nicolanomore24 Thu 28-Nov-19 19:42:29

I’m a single parent to three children. I worked hard working full-time while doing a degree and obviously looking after the three children. I now have a reasonably well paying job, every month I pay £700 in tax and national insurance. To get by, I have a second job. I struggle to most months and regularly end up in my overdraft.

Maybe you should both work and not claim benefits?

stucknoue Thu 28-Nov-19 19:43:13

Why is he only working 24 hours a week, why aren't you working? I don't want to sound harsh but you chose to have 3 kids, why should we be supporting you at all. Uc is a safety net for those who cannot work or are temporarily out of work, underemployed not a lifestyle choice

Babyroobs Thu 28-Nov-19 19:44:25

Almost every couple I know with young kids either work around each other or both work and get help with childcare. UC will pay up to 85% of childcare costs.

LonginesPrime Thu 28-Nov-19 19:45:16

So we trailed him working more hours to get more money. This still didn’t help, as the extra money he earned paid rent and council tax.

Surely it did help to be able to pay rent and council tax? They're pretty important, surely? confused

carolina21 Thu 28-Nov-19 19:45:28

You or partner needs to work you ge better off it's that simple

Mo3gic Thu 28-Nov-19 19:46:36

@Babyroobs he’s paid weekly. So when it’s a 5 week month it’s even less on UC. Don’t get me wrong he on a good wage just over £10ph.

Like i said he worked full time 40 plus hours a week, we managed but struggled. Our youngest was 8weeks early and has been quite poorly for the first 3years of her life. So when we decided we would get help we job centre. They said we wasn’t entitled to any help as partners income was enough. In a nut shell it was and it wasn’t. The job centre told us straight up he needs to work 24hours if we want help. So that’s what we did. So now we have gone onto UC and find it even harder then when partner was working more hours.

Chattybum Thu 28-Nov-19 19:47:55

I also don't get why you think paying rent or council tax is optional? It's not an opt in or out choice based on your income, it's a fact of life if you want to live there.

Finfintytint Thu 28-Nov-19 19:49:24

I don’t see how working full time gives you less than UC.

LonginesPrime Thu 28-Nov-19 19:49:23

Our youngest was 8weeks early and has been quite poorly for the first 3years of her life

Can you claim DLA for her?

JudgeRindersMinder Thu 28-Nov-19 19:49:47

This still didn’t help, as the extra money he earned paid rent and council tax

I don’t understand this part...isn’t that kind of the point, that you support yourself and pay your bills?
I also don’t understand why in a family of 2 parents and 3 children, it’s thought acceptable for only 1 person to work 24 hours a week...I admit to not knowing anything about how benefits work as I’ve always worked, but I’m the secondary wage in our family and I work 24 hours a week-I couldn’t support my family on that

stucknoue Thu 28-Nov-19 19:49:50

@MyhorseMyfreedom guessing you are either making it up to antagonise us or driving people to vote Tory. No family unless there's disabilities should be working under full time ;1 adult plus part time (second adult if applicable and children over 5) we need to make sure people don't abuse the safety net in place for people who truly need help

Antigonads Thu 28-Nov-19 19:50:59

So you he actively reduced his hours to get benefits?

PorpentinaScamander Thu 28-Nov-19 19:51:41

So now we have gone onto UC and find it even harder then when partner was working more hours.

Well exactly. Isn't that the point? Its (supposedly) enough to live on, but less than you get if you work.

Slomi Thu 28-Nov-19 19:52:20

OP, my DP and I both work full-time. We don't have a TV package, the car is 9 years old (needed for DP's work) and phone contracts are a basic £17 pm. Our rent and creche fees are extortionate so we have to make do. DD has had a grand total of £30 spent on her Xmas presents and that was by putting £10 a month away since Sept. You have to cut your cloth that's just the way it is.

Babyroobs Thu 28-Nov-19 19:52:24

On Uc you are always better off working more hours because you get to keep 37p of Uc for each pound you earn above your work allowance. Unless you have very high costs associated with getting to work it should definitely benefit you to work more hours.

Chattybum Thu 28-Nov-19 19:53:40

So when it’s a 5 week month it’s even less on UC. But you also get more in wages that month surely?

Babyroobs Thu 28-Nov-19 19:54:28

Chattybum - Yes of course they do. UC is a top up benefit. The more you earn in your assessment period the less Uc you get.

Mo3gic Thu 28-Nov-19 19:56:09

@LonginesPrime sorry but if find that comment disgusting! Thankfully my daughter isn’t that poorly, and I wouldn’t claim it anyway. but I find what you wrote awful. As I’m sure there’s plenty of mothers out their who do claim dla for the children.

TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Thu 28-Nov-19 19:56:35

@myhorsemyfreedom seriously?

I have one DD, DH and I both work full time, pay a painful amount of money in tax, entitled to nothing except the standard £20.50 a week child benefit.

But you think it's perfectly acceptable to not work so you have loads of alone time, and have DH work part time so you can spend loads of time with your kids while tax payers pay for your house, bills and Netflix???

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in