Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sister went overdrawn by 15p - and is being charged £30 , can she do anything?

(12 Posts)
kitsandbits Tue 21-Aug-07 11:06:08

shes on really low money as its just her and 3 month old baby - and £30 is alot of money to her!

fawkeoff Tue 21-Aug-07 11:08:24

has she overdrawn today.....if the money overdrew today then she has the option of going to the bank and putting 15p in then they should withdraw the 30 quid fine, if she overdrew yesterday then she cant do it

Helennn Tue 21-Aug-07 11:09:46

If it were me I would ring the bank and explain situation, especially having a 3 month old baby. I got my fees refunded once without even asking, I just said about it and they said that's OK, we'll pay it back. Definitely worth a try.

WendyWeber Tue 21-Aug-07 11:11:09

If she's never been overdrawn before and is usually really careful she could try appealing to their better nature (if they have one )

Or else threaten to change banks, they don't like losing people. How much does she have coming in every month? If it's at least £500 she could switch to Alliance & Leicester and get a small authorised overdraft, then she'd only pay a tiny amount of interest if overdrawn, not a charge.

wheresthevalium Tue 21-Aug-07 11:11:12

Unfortunately, unless she can convince the bank to hand it back as a matter of goodwill, there is not a lot she can do at the moment. There is currently a test case going through to determine the bank charges issue, and all cases are on hold until the outcome.

HTH

purpleflower Tue 21-Aug-07 11:12:15

If it is a regular thing that she goes overdrawn then no she can't do anything.

When this happened to me I went in the bank and made them look at my account, they saw it was a one of and I am normally good with my money so they refunded it. IIRC they will do it if you haven't gone overdrawn in 6m.

She won't lose anything to try.

kitsandbits Tue 21-Aug-07 12:12:36

She doesnt go oversrawn, this is the first time, ill get her to ring and see what they say.

She didnt even realise she had done it, just got a charges letter.

Thanks for the advice.

kitsandbits Tue 21-Aug-07 12:39:13

they wavered it as it was her firsy 'offence' lol

purpleflower Tue 21-Aug-07 12:39:58

tallulah Tue 21-Aug-07 12:41:59

She needs to ask nicely, explain she's made a mistake and would they consider refunding the charge please.

When I worked in the call centre of a bank I always refunded one-off charges when people were polite and never refunded when they yelled and screamed and threatened.

WendyWeber Tue 21-Aug-07 13:01:04

Oh, that's great

They won't do it again though so she'll have to be even more careful in future.

Helennn Tue 21-Aug-07 13:42:57

Just shows you - if you don't ask, you don't get, .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now