Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can anyone recommend a decent current acct?

(17 Posts)
AllieBongo Mon 20-Aug-07 16:28:40

we have been with hsbc for years, but are sick of the constant cock ups made by their so called customer service team. the branch is fab, but i can never speak to them.we need a small overdraft, internet banking and a uk call centre

JARM Mon 20-Aug-07 16:37:08

I like Nat West, but my preferance would be Nationwide.

If it wasnt for my shocking credit rating, i would be with Nationwide.

Had so many ishoos with HSBC and Llyods

ThursdayNext Mon 20-Aug-07 16:40:29

Smile, as long as you're happy with net / phone banking.
Used them for years and years, no cock ups, customer services always very helpful.

AllieBongo Mon 20-Aug-07 17:52:04

thank you!

AllieBongo Mon 20-Aug-07 19:45:18

is halifax any good? you get 100 squid if you switch to them

Peachy Mon 20-Aug-07 19:47:27

I don't like NAtWest but stick with them on principle (ie they tried to get rid of me over an ishoo with DH, and I said Oi!)

Dh si with nationswide and all our other acocunts are, tbh they've been fabulous

Still ahven't fprgive HSBC (then mid;ands) for leaving mum broke when I was about 9 (I'm 34 now LOL) because they'd given their weekly cash allowance out to someone and had no cash left that week, without a credit card we ahd to live on uncles chicken's eggs for a week LOL

Peachy Mon 20-Aug-07 19:47:57

Switching fro 100 squid? taht's be shellfish

(sorry- family joke....)

NannyL Mon 20-Aug-07 21:18:53

Halifax are great IMO

Barclays are awful i could not hate them more if i tried and have vowed neevr ever to set foot in a branch or have anything to do with them EVER again!

PLEASE stay away from barclays!

Kaz33 Mon 20-Aug-07 21:21:32

We use First Direct and are very happy, lovely 24hour call centre - always answered promptly and internet.

They are off course HSBC, though under another guise - so that might put you off.

AllieBongo Tue 21-Aug-07 09:09:25

kaz, do they have indian call centres?? i know that sounds awful, but all the problems i have had have arisen from there, simply because they cannot understand what i am asking for..

ThursdayNext Tue 21-Aug-07 11:00:15

Meant to say, Nationwide and the smaller building societies and Smile always have fairly low interest rates on overdrafts and high interest when you're in credit, compared to the big high street banks.
Other products are also always competitive, so you can also use them for your credit card / savings accounts if you can't be bothered to shop around.
The call centre for Smile is somewhere in the North of England.

jura Tue 21-Aug-07 11:03:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kamsmum Tue 21-Aug-07 11:08:29

Nationwide. The internet banking is really good.

pobletsmum Tue 21-Aug-07 11:13:37

Another vote for Nationwide. Have had problems (albeit small) with HSBC, Natwest and big problems with Abbey - took 3 1hr visits to try to close account, which had nil balance anyway!

Nationwide have excellent internet banking facility, seems very secure. I pay all bills through website. Have used phone banking with no problems. Have direct dial number for my local branch. Staff have been the same for years, so know me quite well (other banks round here seem to have high turnover of staff). The interest rates are good. I have a linked e-savings account and can make instant transfers online ie move £1000 to current account just seconds before needing it so get highest interest for longest. Also have 2 ISAs, CTF & DS' account with Nationwide and have never had ANY problems. Oh yes, and mortgage too until we moved, and life cover etc. etc. I just find it so easy and hassle free with them.

pobletsmum Tue 21-Aug-07 11:16:28

Forgot to mention... I have an overdraft facility set up with no fees. When I go overdrawn, I don't get charged other than a few pence for every day I'm overdrawn.

preggersagain Tue 21-Aug-07 11:16:30

smile- fabbo, everything can be sorted easily through their online service etc and call centres are in the uk.

Wisteria Tue 21-Aug-07 11:22:23

I've been with First Direct for 15 yrs, really helpful on the phone and can recommend their internet system too, you get an instant overdraft limit anyway for free (ie no yearly charge for having it although of course you pay interest on any overdrawn funds).

HSBC are a nightmare though which I've always found odd. Avoid Barclays and Natwest, TSB like plague in my opinion.
Nationwide are good but not as easily accessible as FD IME. Good to have their CC for withdrawing cash abroad. We came back recently and FD haven't charged me a fee for using my Debit card in a supermarket and only £2 for withdrawing cash from a bank on it too which is amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now