Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Holidays & Working Part Time -

(13 Posts)
Twinkie1 Wed 15-Aug-07 11:22:22

Right will try and keep this short. Need some advice re Holidays & Working Part Time

I work 3 days a week, Monday to Wednesday, and was told when I took this job that I would get 19 days holiday a year - this figure was inclusive of Bank Holidays.

I have now been told that this means that the Bank Holidays that I don't work e.g Good Friday also have to come out of this 19 days - I am fully aware that the days that I do work that happen to be Bank Holidays will be taken off but I can't understand how they can class days that I don't work as paid holiday - I mean presumably I won't be paid for Good Friday as I don't work it so how can they class this as holiday????

It means that say Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day and Good Friday all fell on a Thursday or Friday one year - I would get 4 days less hoilday even though I wouldn't work those days anyway!!

Is this normal - doesn't seem bloody fair to me!

Thanking you in anticipation.

Tx

flowerybeanbag Wed 15-Aug-07 11:28:12

They can't include days you wouldn't normally work as part of your holiday, that's just bizarre.

See this below I just put on another thread.

"You get pro rata the same number of bank holidays as a f/t member of staff.
So, for example if someone works 3 days a week, Wed- Fri, they would be entitled to 3/5 the bank holiday entitlement of a f/t member of staff. F/t entitlement is usually 8 days, in England anyway, so a 3-day a weeker is entitled to 4.8 days, which I would round up to 5 (following me so far? ).

What I have done in organisations I have worked for is got p/t members of staff to sit down with their manager at the beginning of the year and work out which bank holidays naturally fall on their working days, and then adjust.

So if a part timer works 3 days and is entitled to 5 bank holidays, the manager would look at the calendar at the beginning of each year to see how many would automatically fall on working days - this might change each year as obviously Christmas, Boxing Day and New Years Day vary each year.
If the number of days that fell naturally on the p/t persons normal days was less than 5, the manager would ensure they took a day in lieu to make it up, usually in the same week as a bank holiday."

Basically, you get pro rata what a f/t person would get, including bank holidays. I work out from your figure that if you get 19 days for 3 days a week, a f/t person would get 32 days where you are.
If you get 19 days for 3 days a week, that means for 19 of your normal working days, you don't have to come in. If bank holidays fall on your normal days, obviously they come off the 19, but bank holidays which are not on your normal days are irrelevant, as long as you get the right number of days off on days you normally work.

Make sense?!

Twinkie1 Wed 15-Aug-07 11:55:32

Right have worked it out using your example.

A full time meber of staff would get 23 days basic plus 8 days bank holidaythat pro ratad to 3 days makes 18.6 days which I presume is rounded up to 19!

Is that right?

flowerybeanbag Wed 15-Aug-07 11:56:10

sounds right yep!

Twinkie1 Wed 15-Aug-07 12:51:21

They have just come back to my manager and said that I have to request of ALL Bank Holidays regardless of whether I work them or not.

Am fuming - makes the pittance I come to work for even less now.

How can they do this and get away with it.

On my contract it didn't say that my 19 days included days when I was not rotad to work anyway - are they going to pay me for these days then - becase I thought you got paid for holiday???

So if a Bank Holiday falls on a Thursday or Friday that month I will get paid extra for each day that I don't normally work but have had to request off as holiday!

Twinkie1 Wed 15-Aug-07 13:09:24

BUMP - because I am still fuming and hoped someone would know before I go for meeting with HR and lose it completely!

Twinkie1 Wed 15-Aug-07 13:54:54

BUMP AGAIN!!

flowerybeanbag Wed 15-Aug-07 13:57:14

that's rubbish, your 19 days can only be taken on days you would normally work anyway, that's the same as getting someone who works Mon-Fri to request Saturday off.

Twinkie1 Wed 15-Aug-07 14:00:50

Right got you - will throw that one at them.

Am fuming and getting really worked up and they think it is a laugh!

Thank you for all of your help.

Tx

IdrisTheDragon Wed 15-Aug-07 14:05:44

I work three days a week and get my bank holidays pro-rated as well. I seem to have managed to have the right number of bank holidays falling on the right days (if that makes sense) to not need to adjust anything with bank holidays.

I get 25 days holiday pro-rated to 15 and 4.8 bank holidays (rounded up to 5).

IdrisTheDragon Wed 15-Aug-07 14:08:43

This year the bank holidays have been on Monday, Friday, Monday, Monday, Monday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. So as I work Monday, Wednesday and Thursday I should do something about the "extra" one I am getting, but am lucky in that I doubt anyone will notice .

BetsyBoop Wed 15-Aug-07 21:43:21

perhaps remind HR that according to the Part-time Workers (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations, part-timers must be treated at least as well as equivalent full-time workers, unless the reason why not can be objectively justified - which it isn't in this case on your behalf

Eddas Thu 16-Aug-07 07:55:18

how strange

I work(or worked?!) 2 days a week. Every time a bank holiday came along I got the equivalant hours in pay. IE I work 7.5 hours a day, 2 days a week and therefore got 3 hours pay for every bank holiday.

Your employers seem like they've got it wrong I would doubt very much they can make you have holiday on a day you don't work, how odd. Like flowerybeanbag said it's like having to have a day off at a weekend when you only work week days. Very odd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now