Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone done the probate/grant of responsibility thing and can help me please.... swimming in paperwork

(10 Posts)
lunavix Sat 11-Aug-07 09:47:44

My sister nominated me to sort out our mother's 'estate' if you can call it that, I don't know exactly where to start. There's no will.

Do I apply for the grant first then start contacting companies? Or contact them now, find out amounts etc then apply for it when I've got a better idea of her finances?

Tinker Sat 11-Aug-07 10:44:01

lunavix - my mum died recently without a will. Go and see and solicitor and see what they say. How complicated it all is depends on teh size of teh estate (ie if inheritance tax comes into it) and number of differnt accounts/policies etc. Have a look on teh probate website - they have list of things that need to be done.

Contact companies straightaway to tell them. Contact everyone. Most companies aren't too bad but some are useless. Don't forget pensions as well.

Tinker Sat 11-Aug-07 10:45:33

Something here

Beetroot Sat 11-Aug-07 10:46:25

dh is executor of his mums will and is doing the same thing. He is out at present but would be happy to talk to you. email me at beetroot beetroot @ hotmail. co .uk.

Tinker Sat 11-Aug-07 10:47:10

More useful

RubyRioja Sat 11-Aug-07 10:56:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RubyRioja Sat 11-Aug-07 10:58:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tinker Sat 11-Aug-07 19:00:26

Yes, meant to add that I'm sorry for your loss as well lunavix. You seem to have a lot on your plate atm

ajol Sun 12-Aug-07 10:40:59

Hi

Sorry for your loss and the added stress of having to deal with the probate.

I recommend yoou contact the SWW Trust Corporation (www.swwtrust.co.uk. They will give you as much or little help as you need for an hourly rate. Lots cheaper than a solicitor too.

If you want to email me at blythewills@homecall.co.uk and will give you more information.

Take care

Amanda O'Leary

mummypoppins Mon 13-Aug-07 11:48:58

Hi Lunavix.............I am a probate solicitor. I know we are expensive but if you need a solicitor's help then I will do a discount for mumsnetters. Reply to this and I will let you have some contact details.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: