Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do I have the right to read court records for when my dad sexually abused me?

(4 Posts)
YesIAmANameChanger Fri 10-Aug-07 09:20:04

I am a name changer not because I am ashamed of this but because it is private and I don't want people in RL to know I am thinking of this yet.

My dad sexually abused me and it all came to light when I was 12. The case went to court a year later (about 1988) and I gave evidence against him. He was found guilty and went to prison for 2 years - I have only seen him in the street once or twice since this and have no wish to make contact with him.

I have often wondered what defence or justification he gave (he pleaded not guilty). It is a difficult issue because around this time he also became seriously mentally ill. I wonder whether the illness might have caused the abuse or whether he was just a pervert generally (he also abused several family members).

So I was wondering whether court records from the time would still exist, and if so do I have the right to read them? I feel I could handle this quite well because I have had counselling and I am 'over' the abuse as much as anyone can be.

If anyone knows the answer to this I'd be really grateful, thanks.

YesIAmANameChanger Fri 10-Aug-07 15:00:51

Anyone? I know it's a long shot...any ideas of who else to ask? Thanks.

rolledhedgehog Fri 10-Aug-07 16:20:41

I think this leaflet might help you.

YesIAmANameChanger Fri 10-Aug-07 20:20:29

That is so helpful, thank you very much. It seems I might be able to access records if I contact the court.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: