Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Just me again with my TAX CREDITS - I have my award statement, would someone kindly explain it to me?

(13 Posts)
LadyOfTheFlowers Thu 09-Aug-07 16:21:20

(The first time I have claimed this, even though Ds1 is 2! Please bear with me! lol )

Ok, so it arrived today, one addressed to me and one to Dh.
It says we qualify for the Child element and says how much they will pay me, but they have also totted it all up for Tax credits, a huge amount actually, and then at the bottom of the working, it says the amount we will be paid is nil.

Why total it all up if they are not going to pay us it? To tease me? It just seems a waste of someones time.
Or will it be paid to Dh through his wages?

I'm a spud, sorry.
I called the helpline but there was a bit of a language barrier and the guy basically read my Child credit figures that I had in front of me to me.

TBH, we are pretty skint and I did think Dh would qualify for Tax credits as he pays loads of tax each month, even though he is on the right tax code.

A mate of mine who works full time and whose Dh also works recieves Child & Tax so I am confused!?
I am very grateful for what they are paying me and it is really helping, but if I am missing out, I would like to claim it obviously!

TIA - Sorry it's long!

meandmyflyingmachine Thu 09-Aug-07 16:24:34

Does it say "deduction due to income" or sme such stuff on it. That's what we get on ours. Deduction equal to award, therefore we only get the basic child element.

And if your DH is paying loads of tax, then you probably do have a big deduction due to income...

wheresthehamster Thu 09-Aug-07 16:25:53

We had ours through and I couldn't understand it. It said we were owed nil and I gasped but reading the dates it was for last year.

The two documents relating to THIS year came a day later.

V. confusing

Piffle Thu 09-Aug-07 16:27:36

it could be that nil is for working tax credit
if you cinoem exceeds £58,00o then you get nada I am pretty sure

doggiesayswoof Thu 09-Aug-07 16:27:42

Phone them again - the quality of their staff varies enormously. I tend to get someone helpful/in possession of half a brain after about my 4th call.

I am not a stupid person, but I do find the way the award notices are set out totally confusing... do they do this on purpose I wonder?

LadyOfTheFlowers Thu 09-Aug-07 16:30:59

Lol at amount of tax FlyingMachine!

Yeah, it says we have CTC and there is a payment schedule with dates of when they are paying it which is fine, but they have also done the sums for the WTC then said what flying says 'deduction due to income' and subtracted the whole amount they summed up.

I just donr get why they would total it up so I can see it if I dont qualify for it?!

meandmyflyingmachine Thu 09-Aug-07 16:32:01

It's a Jim Bowen thing.

"See what you could have won..."

wheresthehamster Thu 09-Aug-07 16:33:24

Even if you only qualify for the child one they go through the calcs for the other one. At least you can see how they work it out!

doggiesayswoof Thu 09-Aug-07 16:35:09

Yes, so you can (supposedly) see their calculations. Also it's done BY A COMPUTER so it's a standard format for everybody.

LadyOfTheFlowers Thu 09-Aug-07 16:43:13

Have had a look around on Her Maj's site and we dont qualify for it, but I would like to see the tables with the amounts of earnings and which incomes get it, but cant find it.

Is it something like 14k or less and you get it?

doggiesayswoof Thu 09-Aug-07 16:55:50

I think the cut off point is income over £58k

Nemo2007 Thu 09-Aug-07 16:56:31

just a quick thank you as you just reminded me to do my renewal

Nemo2007 Thu 09-Aug-07 16:57:37

oh and I think WTC you get on a income under 15k or you that is the section where you get some money towards childcare costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now