Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tesco Credit Card - possibly dodgy phone call from Tesco

(11 Posts)
weebleswobble Tue 07-Aug-07 20:31:59

At 8.10 I got a call from Mark at Tesco Personal Finance saying there was an urgent problem with my credit card and he needed to ask a couple of security question, but if I wasn't happy to answer the questions I could call back the number on the back of the credit card and he gave me an extension number.

I called the number and the lines are closed until tomorrow.

I did call Tesco earlier this evening to request my statement balance as the statement hasn't arrived due to the postal strikes. They couldn't find my details when I gave my credit card number as they've sent me a new card which is a platinum one with a new number and even though I haven't used it yet - which they said I would need to do to activate it, all my details are stored using the new card details.

He hasn't called me back so I am going to have to call tomorrow. Sounds dodgy or am I being paranoid?

WideWebWitch Tue 07-Aug-07 20:33:59

I wouldn't worry, asking you to call back on the no on the card sounds legit. I bet he was bored and just at the end of his shift so made your call and went home. However, you should always be wary of anyone who calls YOU (rather than other way round) and asks any personal questions.

weebleswobble Tue 07-Aug-07 20:37:47

I wondered if he was chancing that I would answer the questions when he rang because surely anyone working there would know that the phone number on the credit card only operates during their working hours.

TheQueenOfQuotes Tue 07-Aug-07 20:43:47

lol weebles - I wouldn't be sure about that (knowing other no.s not working) I've made plenty of calls in the past to companies who've told me to ring X department on x,y,z number.......only to find that they're closed.

weebleswobble Tue 07-Aug-07 20:45:54

I'm expecting too much from Mark aren't I?

I will try not to let my imagination run riot and call in the morning.

TheQueenOfQuotes Tue 07-Aug-07 20:47:41

I think you probably are LOL.

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 08-Aug-07 11:57:36

My credit card company ring a couple of times a year just to check on transactions - usually if i've used my card for something large or a number of times in a day.

I usually say i'll call back just to be safe and then ring the number on my statement. They note their system that they called and i prefer to call back than answer there and then. I think they put a temp hold on the card until i call back just in case the transactions were fraudulant. At least i know their security department does monitor things as best they can.

Did worry me the first time as had visions of somebody having a huge spree on my card.

weebleswobble Wed 08-Aug-07 16:17:03

I'm somewhat calmer now than when I spoke to Tesco at lunchtime.

Some stupid twat at Tesco decided to mark my cards as lost/stolen and cancelled them. That's why I got the call last night. Strangely they don't know who did it .

The customer services lady I spoke to was very apologetic and understanding as I ranted about the incompetence of the twat that cancelled my cards and when I told them not to bother sending me another card and that I would go elsewhere that got things moving. They are sending a new card by courier to be delivered Friday.

PrettyCandles Wed 08-Aug-07 16:22:46

Tesco stopped my card temporarily when I messed up using pay-at-pump for the first time. Apparently trying to do a transaction, cancelling it, and trying again several times triggers an automatic stop on the card. Something to do with card fraud, apparently. I don't understand how. But when I called them and gave them my security info and time and dates for where I was (ie confirming that it was me mucking up at the pump, rather than a crook with my details), they restarted my card. A hassle, unfortunately, but I'd rather be without my card for a day or two, than have them give a crook the benefit of the doubt.

weebleswobble Wed 08-Aug-07 16:27:14

They told me they can't reactivate my card because they marked it as lost/stolen. They said a member of their staff did it after I called in for the balance of my card.

I wouldn't be angry if it was to protect from fraud. It was just that unknown Tesco employee who, for reasons best known to themselves, decided to cancel them.

PrettyCandles Wed 08-Aug-07 17:51:54

You've been the victim of an undertrained numpty. I very much doubt that they really don't know who cancelled your card. Every keystroke and telephone conversation is recorded. If you kicked up enough of a fuss they would trace who did it. They're just trying a bit of CYOA. I hope they gave you a dlivery time on Friday, and don't expect you to stay in all day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now