Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help with mortgage when seperated?

(5 Posts)
lunavix Sat 04-Aug-07 19:01:23

Someone said on a previous thread that if you split up, someone - (council? dss?) will help with your share of mortgage payments, until property is sold. How do you go about this, can anyone give me a rough idea of how much in relation to income, and what happens when the property is sold?

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 04-Aug-07 21:29:02

If you are claiming income support, after 9 months they will help with the interest only on a mortgage providing the mortgage is under £100k. If your not on income support, I dont think there is any help with mortgage payments.

Judy1234 Sat 04-Aug-07 22:02:10

Yes, that's true. Basically very little help. You can change mortgages to interest only, change the term to 30 years, take on second jobs etc all to help to pay and may be claim interim maintenance from the other spouse if they earn more which may go towards the mortgage. You may be able jointly to agree to rent it out for 6 months too and both move back to parents etc too if that will help ends meet or take in lodgers or students.

lunavix Sun 05-Aug-07 18:17:18


someone said on a previous thread that if you told the council that you were going to be homeless, but you had a house on mortgage with a dh, they (don't know who they is, think it might have been dss?) would help with your share of payments until... council place came up? property sold? Is that totally wrong then?

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 06-Aug-07 20:02:09

If you willing sell your house the council dont have to help you with one of their properties - you need to check with your local council as to their policy on becoming "intentionally" homeless. As for the council paying the mortgage, never heard of that - there is housing benefit but that applies to rented properties.

The only help with mortgage payments is if you claim income support and they wont help for the first 9 months.

Xenia's idea is good, to either swap to interest only until its sold or rent on a short term contract.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: