Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PayPal - is it safe?

(7 Posts)
ptangyangkipperbang Thu 02-Aug-07 20:34:48

I'm trying to subscribe to something online. The site states that you can only join by sending a cheque through the post (haven't got time) or by using PayPal. DH has said that paypal is 'dodgy' and he doesn't think I should join. I thought millions of ebay users used it so it must be okay. Who is right?

ptangyangkipperbang Fri 03-Aug-07 11:38:47

bump

bettythebuilder Fri 03-Aug-07 12:37:30

I run a website that accepts paypal payments (either from paypal accounts, or using paypal to process a credit/debit card,iyswim)
and I've never had a problem with the system.
I also use paypal to buy things over the internet..as far as I'm concerned it's secure, and not dodgy at all

jofeb04 Fri 03-Aug-07 14:15:25

I use paypal, and have never had a problem!!

lailasmum Fri 03-Aug-07 14:18:40

paypal is safe and your are protected a bit from the end user as your details are kept private so its a better way of doing it than sending a cheue I would think.

DaisyMOO Fri 03-Aug-07 18:57:30

Paypal is a bona fide company and is basically just a way of using a third party to pay by credit card (or debit). It should be doubly secure that way as you have protection both through Paypal and the credit card company. The people who've had problems with Paypal have been traders rather than customers I believe. Definitely more secure than paying by cheque.

mygirllollipop Sun 05-Aug-07 18:38:04

Paypal is only really unsafe if you get phishing emails and respond to them by inputting your personal info into a link. I've been a member for years and have had phishing emails but have reported them to spoof@paypal.co.uk and had no problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now