Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank charges: are people still claiming

(10 Posts)
lucyellensmum Thu 26-Jul-07 16:09:23

i saw on the news that people were not being as successful with this as they were and it put me off. I am in financial hell just now and this could dig us out of a 10K hole - our bank is nationwide, do you think it is worth us trying?

kslatts Thu 26-Jul-07 17:02:01

I'm with Nationwide, they have said no, now have to decide whether or not to take them to court. Our charges are only about £700.

lucyellensmum Thu 26-Jul-07 18:23:08

thanks for that, it is difficult isnt it, i dont think i could take anymore stress just now but we really need the money.

Shoshable Thu 26-Jul-07 18:38:49

We got ours back from HSBC this week, DH got loads (shows how bad he is with money) I got 100.00.

TheQueenOfQuotes Thu 26-Jul-07 18:40:44

Shoshable - how long did it take for HSBC to pay them back (from the date of you first asking) - and did they make life difficult for you about it?

I'm trying to persuade DH to claim back his charges (I reckon it's probably close to, if not actually in 4 figures) but he's stalling....

Shoshable Thu 26-Jul-07 18:45:24

From sending letter 1 it took them the full 40 days to send the bank statements, but we didnt have to pay for them, we then sent letter two, it took them another 21 days to agree to the amount we were asking for, and then another 14 days to pay into the bank.

I used the letters off here, if you search messages you will find them.

Shoshable Thu 26-Jul-07 18:46:10

And no no difficulty they just paid up, DH's were over 2k

TheQueenOfQuotes Thu 26-Jul-07 18:46:47

so just over 2 months then......hmm not bad (I joked to DH that if he started the process now we may just have the money in time for Christmas ).

chocolatekimmy Thu 26-Jul-07 21:11:33

I just had Lloyds TSB settle after I lodged the court claim on line. Goldfish also paid up just before I lodged the claim in the courts. Small amounts c.£300 in total

treacletart Fri 27-Jul-07 12:26:40

All claims have been suspended as of today pending a high court ruling - more info on the money saving expert site. We had just managed to settle DH's charges with NatWest aboout £600 and I'd sent my final demand into abbey for about £800 - they only offered me £200 would have been taking them to court first week in August! . Guess we just have to wait and see what the high court says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now