Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Ds2 burnt on oven door. Is my landlord at fault? Please advise.

(24 Posts)
LadyOfTheFlowers Tue 24-Jul-07 12:08:40

My house is shared ownership, meaning I have a mortgage for half of it and pay rent on the other half to a housing association.

3 weeks ago, Ds2 who is 10m and cruising, tried to pull himself up by putting one hand flat on the closed glass oven door and the other flat on the cupboard. The oven was on 190.

Ds1 never crawled and I am just realising how quickly they can get about. Over the last week he has really started motoring!
I went into the kitchen, only meaning to be a few seconds to check the dinner so did not close the gate and by the time I turned around from getting a fork out, he had done it.

Initially, it looked like a small blister on his palm below his index finger but once it was under the tap it spread all the way along to his little finger, all his finger and thumb pad and the entire length of his index finger.
He was screaming uncontrollably and going into shock with his eyes rolling back.

I grabbed a damp cloth and wrapped his hand in it and took him to a&e as I know that any burn larger than 1cm in diameter on the face or hands should be checked out.

Anyway, the doc said it was superficial, even though his whole hand was affected, and I had saved a lot of trouble for him by doing what I did.
His hand was dressed in Jelonet and we were sent home with the usual ibuprofen and paracetamol.

He has had to keep the dressing on as the docs didnt want to disturb the blisters for fear of infection and I was taking him to see the murse every 2 days to have it changed and checked.

After two weeks I asked if she would pop the blisters and then dress it in dry dressing to allow it to dry out to which she eventually agreed and his hand now, thankfully, is healing, just peeling.
The bandage led to more bumps and bruses for him due to lack of grip, not to mention frustration.

My question is: Should the outside of an oven door in a house which is only 4 years old get hot enough to burn?
I was of the understanding that all oven doors now are fitted with glass that becomes warm whilst in use but not hot?

I dont want to ring my landlord and shout the odds if I am incorrect.

Many thanks dears!

LucyJones Tue 24-Jul-07 12:10:30

I don't think it is the landlords fault.
How old is the oven?
Ours is really old and the oven door gets very hot.
Hope your lo is okay xxx

SoupDragon Tue 24-Jul-07 12:12:33

Sorry, this is your fault not the landlords.

DangerousBeans Tue 24-Jul-07 12:13:27

Your poor DS2 - I hope he gets better soon.
It wouldn't occur to me to hold the landlord responsible, tbh.

TootyFrooty Tue 24-Jul-07 12:14:29

So sorry to hear about your ds.

Whether or not the glass should be heatproof, I suspect that the landlord will say that it was ultimately your responsibility to keep an eye on your child.

Sorry.

PanicPants Tue 24-Jul-07 12:14:44

I don't think it's the landlords fault either - sorry!

Oven doors do get hot I'm afriad. Even newer models and you need to keep an eye on ds now he's on the move.

Dp had a similiar arrangement on his house before moving in with me, and he bought his own kitchen/oven etc and was responsible for it.

Sorry, not very helpful I know, hope your ds is much better now.

SoupDragon Tue 24-Jul-07 12:15:08

(I didn't mean that post to come out quite so harshly! Sorry!)

CountessDracula Tue 24-Jul-07 12:15:14

Goodness I wouldn't expect an oven door to get that hot

However landlord not at fault!
I would take it up with the manufacturers of the oven, surely they should have minimum standards for this? Maybe this one is faulty

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Tue 24-Jul-07 12:15:18

Sorry can't really see how the landlord is at fault.

EscapeFrom Tue 24-Jul-07 12:16:27

You are incorrect, I am sure your landlord cannot be held responsible because your baby burned himself touching an oven.

moljam Tue 24-Jul-07 12:18:12

hope your ds is better soon but i agree with everyone else.id not even consider it being landlords fault.

Spidermama Tue 24-Jul-07 12:20:41

I'm amazed that the oven door can get hot enough to burn so badly. That's an eye opener for you.

I don't think it's your fault either. These things happen. You can't watch them 24 hours a day and I'm sure that now you know how hot the oven gets it won't happen again.

This must be very truamatic for you. I'm so sorry. I would think, if anyone, the oven manufacturer needs to be called to account with a letter at the very least.

My oven door gets fairly hot, but has a fan to cool it a little.

LadyOfTheFlowers Tue 24-Jul-07 12:21:42

Thanks for the replies.
I know I should have shut the gate as soon as I went in. I just wondered if there was a minimum standard now for this type of thing.

Poeple sue MaccyD's you know for burning them selves on their coffee they balanced on their dashboards!

He is fine now btw.

moljam Tue 24-Jul-07 12:23:18

glad hes ok now.as pp said,its not your fault either

LadyOfTheFlowers Tue 24-Jul-07 12:23:40

I was wondering if I should inform the landlord so it does not happen to anyone else as I really did not think it got that hot, that's all.
Everyone seems to have the same oven, well my neighbours anyway.

daisyandbabybootoo Tue 24-Jul-07 12:24:26

It's worth checking the glass in the door. I used to have an oven where the glass could be slotted out for cleaning. It had to go back in one way as if it was put in the other way it would allow too much heat to escape.

If it is of this type and it has been in the wrong way since you moved in then I suppose the landlord could be held accountable. Otherwise I would agree with the other posts I'm afraid.

I hope your DS is getting better.

lizziemun Tue 24-Jul-07 12:24:29

It was no-ones fault it was an accident. These things happen.

I have a gas oven which is only 3 years old and the glass doors do get hot, you just have to be aware.

daisyandbabybootoo Tue 24-Jul-07 12:26:43

It's also worth noting that it might still be within safety standards. Babies skin is very delicate and would be affected to a greater extent than an adults.

LadyOfTheFlowers Tue 24-Jul-07 12:29:26

didnt think of that daisy!
I did press my hand against it at the same temperature as i was so suprised it burnt him the way it did, and although it was uncomfortable, it didnt burn me.

Lilymaid Tue 24-Jul-07 12:37:37

If you wanted to take the landlord to court your DC would actually have to sue you jointly as joint owner of the house! I don't think you would get very far there as you would probably be considered negligent for having let your child near the oven (yes, I know, we all do this). Consequently your DC's claim would firstly be halved as you are joint owner, then reduced again because you were not supervising your baby. So the best course would be a complaint to the manufacturers of the oven - on the basis that it might be a design fault. Accidents do happen to people and you can't always find fault attributable to another person/entity.

throgmorton Wed 25-Jul-07 11:05:03

really sorry about your ds hope he's OK

I think this is not at all your landlords fault.

I also live in a shared ownership house and we had to buy a new oven when our old one broke - its absolutely nothing at all to do with them as you'll no doubt find out...

unfortunately the renting aspect of shared ownership starts and ends at the fact that someone else has 'come in with you' to enable you to buy your house. They are responsible for finding buildings insureance (and you have to pay all of it) but other than that everything is down to you - even if your boiler blew up or your house walls collapsed outside of the builder's guarantee! crap huh?!

throgmorton Wed 25-Jul-07 11:06:31

... as they dont fail to point out, shared ownership is just like owning your own home... literally!

also echo lizziemum - it was an accident

LIZS Wed 25-Jul-07 11:19:38

Sorry he got hurt but as others have said it was an accident - probably the first of amny I'm afraid. Neither you nor your co-owner were negligent assuming it has been maintained correctly. Your ds probably would have held on longer and with more pressure than you just touching it so that may have contributed ot his injury.

throgmorton Wed 25-Jul-07 11:30:17

LIZS i think a valid point to make here is that in a shared ownership house the landlords are not responsible for upkeep or maintenance - either way, its a BFN for lady...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now