Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much do NCT teachers get paid?

(10 Posts)
iamanidiot Fri 20-Jul-07 13:01:02

and is it hourly or salary?

am possbly thinking mf maybe doing it and need some facts and figures to convince dh....

NotQuiteCockney Fri 20-Jul-07 17:31:33

It's hourly pay. I think starting rates are something like £15 or £18 an hour right now? Rates can be much more.

You can teach more or less when you want, and the classes can be scheduled for evenings and weekends, to make life easier.

BigHotMama Fri 20-Jul-07 17:42:13

My sister has just passed her GTP and has been offered a job starting her NQT at £23,000, not bad.

BigHotMama Fri 20-Jul-07 17:42:46

per year that is

geekgirl Fri 20-Jul-07 17:46:15

my friend is fully qualified now and earns somewhere between 20-25 per hour for teaching, she is also on call for the helpline and gets £15 ph for that.

geekgirl Fri 20-Jul-07 17:46:43

NCT, BigHotMama

pinkystinky Sat 21-Jul-07 21:44:12

Can i ask how you got started?

dizzydo Mon 23-Jul-07 15:20:11

can i also ask how long the training is please?

Housemum Mon 23-Jul-07 16:28:00

The training is a few years - you have to attend tutorials and study days, submit essays for marking, teach a couple of classes as a trainee. You have to fund a proportion of your training fees (I really should know more about this as I'm a local treasurer but I can't get to my folder as it's in the garage behind the bath as we've got builders in!) I think you pay 25% of the training costs, and of any training expenses you incur. Rates of pay depend on the length of time you have been teaching - start at around £18 per hour. Typical antenatal class is 16 - 18 hours, you can choose how many you teach - typically our teachers do 8 - 12 a year.

SueW Tue 24-Jul-07 09:07:46

There's a thread here about training.

The pay is currently under review.
It is hourly paid.

As a student you teach one course for no pay and two on a student rate. Under the new pay structure which should apply to you if you go ahead the following bands apply. The different rates are inside and outside M25; the band includes a fringe rate to but I haven't got details to hand:

Student: £12.50 - £14
Newly qualified £15.50 - £18
1year/100 hours experience £19 - £22
3years qualified/300 hours £23 - £26
5 years/500 hours £26.50 - £30.50

You are paid only for teaching time. There is no allowance for preparation, for ringing clients before classes or speaking to them between or after the course has finished. In some circumstances you can claim half rate for travel time. You can also claim out of pocket expenses i.e. travel (currently 20p per mile!) and refreshments, etc

Eventually you can become a tutor which is a salaried position. I'm not sure how much this pays but have heard rumour that full-time equates to about £25k and means having four tutorial groups (one tutorial each month per group plus all the marking and pastoral care).

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now