Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Never had credit before, but cant get any!

(19 Posts)
innapickle Wed 18-Jul-07 22:03:25

I have one store card and a few catalouge accounts, but thats all.

We need a lump sum soon (we are young and DH has never had credit either)

We have even been denied a vanquis card (meant for people who nave no credit history!!)

What can we do?,

We earn OK money and can easily pay the loan we need.

Thanks

ELF1981 Wed 18-Jul-07 22:06:02

Try your banks? Often easier to get credit at a bank even if you have not had credit with them.

I struggled to get credit because I had never had any. I started using switch to pay for things rather than money from the hole in the wall, and writing the odd cheque and making sure it cashed - little things but does build up your credit reference.

innapickle Wed 18-Jul-07 22:08:06

I use my debit card alot (is switch a credit card?) and also write cheques out often,

Ive tried my bank, they wont give me a credit card,

I honestly dont understand why!

Biglips Wed 18-Jul-07 22:12:45

The ONLY place that didnt turn me down was my own bank that i had an account with for about 3 yrs

ELF1981 Wed 18-Jul-07 22:13:03

Its getting one person to give you credit which then means others open the door to give credit unfortunately!

Switch is a type of debit card, not credit.

Have you tried Capital One? TBH in my experience, you just need to get somebody to say yes, buy one thing and pay it off, then others often open their doors!!

Have you applied for your credit reference from Experian?

Biglips Wed 18-Jul-07 22:13:20

oops! X posted

Have you asked why?

Biglips Wed 18-Jul-07 22:14:00

And YES apply for your credit reference from Experian if u havent done it yet

SlightlyMadSpider Wed 18-Jul-07 22:14:41

Its a vicious circle isn't it?

You can't get credit because you don't have credit. You don't have credit because you can't get credit.

The only way I broke the vicious circle was to get a student bank account (they didn't seem too worried) with an overdraft facility and use the overdraft for the sake of using it. Unfortunately that is not possible for most of hte population....

CalifrauniusFudge Wed 18-Jul-07 22:14:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

innapickle Wed 18-Jul-07 22:15:03

Ive had an account with them for 5 years!

i may have gone over drawn a few times (4 at most) but havent done so for at least a year.

I have about £900 paid in a month and have direct debits too.

They recently allowed me to upgrade my card from an electron to a visa debit though ...yea, thanks for that!!

innapickle Wed 18-Jul-07 22:16:10

i do use my overdraft though, is that bad?

PeachesMcLean Wed 18-Jul-07 22:16:17

It could be the vicious circle,on the other hand, it could be something simple like they think you're not on the electoral register even though you are (happened to us recently and just took a couple of letters to sort out so don't despair)

ELF1981 Wed 18-Jul-07 22:17:25

Message withdrawn

innapickle Wed 18-Jul-07 22:18:11

Hi,

I have an experian credit rating,

SlightlyMadSpider Wed 18-Jul-07 22:20:13

Check this Start about half way down where it says "How to manage and improve your credit score". Just above that is how to check your credit score for free...

BigGitDad Wed 18-Jul-07 22:20:23

Get an Experian report definately as you may have adverse credit that you do not know about, you would be amazed at how many people have problems. Are you on the electoral roll? That helps too. Your bank may be best bet. Have alook at moneysupermarket .com and so on they might be able to point you in the right direction

BigGitDad Wed 18-Jul-07 22:21:09

What does your rating say then?

WendyWeber Wed 18-Jul-07 22:21:43

Having only had an Electron card before probably doesn't help.

Have you tried asking your bank for a personal loan?

Biglips Wed 18-Jul-07 23:14:44

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh i remember now!!!!!

i had a personal loan before i got my credit card off my bank.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now