Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help!!! house going to be repossesed due to xh not paying loan

(79 Posts)
sugar34plum Tue 17-Jul-07 19:29:40

xh and i seperated 4 weeks ago. But found out since he hasnt paid the £20,000 loan we secured against the house for over 4 months. If the court grants the possesion order will council re house me? This house was brought over 3 years ago from local housing association. I have 5 kids youngest is 1 and i have 1 ds with sn and is on highest rate dla.

I am going to phone council tomorrow and ask what do i do if................etc.

but am worrying like mad. Surely they cant not house us ? And they cant put us in b & b? Ds has a social worker because of his sn so can they help make sure we are re homed?

Have been told too that you dont get told where they are putting you until you are actually out of current house and literally on the streets.

i know icant do anything tonight but am really stressing over this so please someone give me good news tht they do re house???

EscapeFrom Tue 17-Jul-07 19:34:14

Contact your son's social worker asap - they must house you, but it literally won't be until the day you are homeless.

edam Tue 17-Jul-07 19:36:46

Call Citizen's Advice Bureau first thing to see if you can hold off repossession. And make sure you are represented in court - get CAB to recommend a solicitor and apply for legal aid. Don't just let the company go to court without you.

Don't know about housing rules, sorry.

ScoobyDooooo Tue 17-Jul-07 19:38:10

Where abouts in the country are you many systems have changed now & it goes through a bidding system not points anymore.

I have been through the whole homeless housing situation & am still in the middle of it we left our rented house 10 months ago & have been homeless for 9 of them we are now back in rented but only temporarily & still waiting to be housed! We are in the south-east though where there are a massive shortage of housing.

Any questions you may have just fire them at me i am sure i can answer them i know the system inside out now.

suzycreamcheese Tue 17-Jul-07 19:38:56

dont know personally sugarplums, bumping for others that do

...only thoughts are.. you could contact citizen rights / CAB / or debt counseller they may be able to negotiate with loan people and work out some terms to stop it coming to repossession?

sugar34plum Tue 17-Jul-07 19:49:52

there is no way i can afford to pay loan its £300 a month plus the arrears.

Scooby im in kent nr dartford. Cant believe we would be on street before being told where we can live. Social worker can change that cant she?

I am panicking like mad. ds is recovering from an op and lots of visits to london hospiatl coming up.

Scared shitless. dont even care about all the equity once house is sold just want to know i will have a house and be safe

ScoobyDooooo Tue 17-Jul-07 20:05:54

In your position i would firstly phone the council in the morning let them kow what is happeneing & get the forms to fill in so you are on the list anyway. Try to get to CAB but i could understand if this would be to hard there is a great website on line called shelter, i can't do links but here is the address

this will explain a few things you can also phone them up & speak to an adviser who can let you know the procedure this would also be a good thing to do because they will tell you what you should be doing to prepare yourself.

The council will house you once you have a date to leave the property you are in. If they do not have a house or somewhere for you to live you will have to go into temporary accomodation which will not be a B&B because the law now states a B&B has to be last resort so you should be offered adequate housing for your family before this.

For instance i have 2 youg children & we were offered a 3 bedroom privately rented flat, a studio flat & a 3 bedroom maisonette so as you can see not ideal but somewhere to stay temporary until we would be housed.

ScoobyDooooo Tue 17-Jul-07 20:10:48

Which council do you come under i will try & have a look online for you if you want me to?

sugar34plum Tue 17-Jul-07 20:22:22

scooby you star i come under sevenoaks. Would they pay removals or do i have to do that. x has left us potless with a ton of debts.

Im assuming they pay the deposit on privately rented too?

Im sure it has to be withiin the area as i have 3 kids in 3 different schools. One in normal primary one in secondary and one in special school.

ScoobyDooooo Tue 17-Jul-07 20:24:17

Not sure about removals but you can ask your council & they do help where they can & if someone is really stuck.

They pay a months deposit & a months rent for a rented property, would you be on benefits?

Will have a look at sevenoaks now see if i can see how there system works.

sugar34plum Tue 17-Jul-07 20:27:05

i will be till money from sale of house comes through which im expecting to be min of 30 thousand then told i have to live on that till it runs out. until then tho its a struggle

ScoobyDooooo Tue 17-Jul-07 20:27:28

If you put this into your browser it is all about what you should do -

It does say on there you should put yourself on the housing list straight away & speak to an adviser with regards to your situation.

ScoobyDooooo Tue 17-Jul-07 20:31:17

Also your council works on points system still which is the better system, so because you will be homeless with 5 children you will have high points & should be housed quiyte quickly. Things will probably get worse before they get better but stick with it because it will be well worth it in the end!

It does say that if you know you are going to be homeless you need to be looking in the papers for property if you can not afford rented just tell them you are looking but there is nothing, as long as they think you are looking then they can not do anything & have to house you when a house is avaliable.

ScoobyDooooo Tue 17-Jul-07 20:32:25

This is explains the points system etc -

Anything else you want to know please just ask.

Contact your council first thing tomorrow at get your families name on the list this is the main thing.

Tortington Tue 17-Jul-07 20:37:03

if your house gets reprosessed this will count against you for many years to come.

I cannot stress how important it is to get to the CAB.

- yes - ok - find out about what happens if you lose your home - but first fight for it.

20k? i mean god, what a waste for just 20k.

see if you can pay the interst only on the loan, ask about bankruptcy.

ask how likley a 'stay' at court is until you can sell your house.

please fight for your house

sugar34plum Tue 17-Jul-07 20:45:19

even if i could pay the loan the mortgate changes to a re apyment in feb and not interest only so cant afford that either

scooby will get name on tomorrow.

Am i looking at 3 or 4 bedroom houses i have

dd 11
dd 8
ds 5 sn
ds 3
dd 1

Tortington Tue 17-Jul-07 20:51:23

iin feb - next year - you could sell by then - besides the banks can be very helpful if you are in difficulty. They are very lilkey to extend your interet only option rather than reposession.

it sounds like you just want out - rather than to sell

Tortington Tue 17-Jul-07 20:51:49

how much equity do you think you have?

sugar34plum Tue 17-Jul-07 20:52:54

part of me does just want out his a builder but has ruined house not 1 room is finished. this was to be our dream house but its now my nightmare

sugar34plum Tue 17-Jul-07 20:53:48

min £30,000 but could be about £50,000

ScoobyDooooo Tue 17-Jul-07 20:54:38

Not sure but i think as your eldest is 11 she may be classed as needing a room to herself i think you would be on the 4 bedroom list.

I can unserstand what custardo is saying but i can not help on that front because i know nothing about it.

expatinscotland Tue 17-Jul-07 20:55:57

If I EVER got my hands on a house of my own I'd fight tooth and nail to keep it.

I don't know where you are, but over here, you'd be totally and completely screwed.

There are just no houses. At all. You'd be all stuffed into one flat and yes it's a breech of EU rules but there's nowhere else for folks to go, there's such a shortage of affordable homes to rent here.

sugar34plum Tue 17-Jul-07 20:56:49

neither do i first house i ever owned! but ds 5 might need own room suffers terrible night terrors

aardvarktwo Tue 17-Jul-07 20:57:34

Definitely phone Shelter asap. This is what they do and will give you all the advice and assistance that you need. They will be able to give you free legal help and advice and fill in any court forms you need and help you apply as homeless at your council.

Your local Shelter office is:


Shelter Kent Housing Aid Centre. Bull Yard, High Street, Ashford, Kent, TN24 8SN

How to contact:

Drop-in, telephone, contact for an appointment, e-mail or write.
T: 01233 610669
F: 01233 635488

Opening hours:

Monday: 10am-1pm , phone advice and drop-in
Tuesday: 10am-1pm phone advice
Wednesday: 10am-1pm phone advice and drop-in
Thursday: 2pm - 4.30pm phone advice
Friday: 10am-1pm phone advice and drop-in

sugar34plum Tue 17-Jul-07 20:58:13

if i could i would truely but i just have the money to fight for it.

As for getting a 4 bedroom didnt think any council did them

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: