Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Duty on overseas purchases. What if they mess up?

(6 Posts)
mytwopenceworth Tue 17-Jul-07 16:33:31

Does anyone know how this works?

I bought some clothes from America - online shop, not private individual. Paid for them, plus shipping. I was under the impression I had to pay 12% something or other and then 17.5% VAT on the lot. Plus the post office would actually pay it then hold the items until I paid and charge me £40odd for the privilege.(which I think is wrong, but that's by the by!)

But this morning I got my clothes in the post with no mention of anything else to pay.

Now, I don't really want to go phoning them saying you didn't ask for my money, cos it has saved me about £60!!!

But am I likely to get a bill through the post or do you think the post office or customs or something has cocked up? In short...do I now have £60 to go mad with?

coddy Tue 17-Jul-07 16:34:08

whadday buy

Ladymuck Tue 17-Jul-07 16:34:40

Was there a customs form on the package, and if so was it accurate?

pabamella Tue 17-Jul-07 16:35:43

i bought something from the USA and shouldve got charged £90 - i didnt !

just shhhhh

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 17-Jul-07 16:39:51

If the seller declared it as a "gift" to get round customs you are unlikely to get a bill. However I did buy from the Disney Store in USA and got the goods then a month later the customs charge came through from DHL so still had to pay.

mytwopenceworth Tue 17-Jul-07 16:44:16

I bought pants, bra, top and trousers set, t shirt, 2 long sleeved shirts, trousers and a dress.

There was a form on it that said it was clothes and the value and the shipping costs etc

do you think I will still get a bill then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now