Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

help - overseas problem with kids Uk savings

(15 Posts)
CalifrauniusFudge Fri 13-Jul-07 00:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hana Fri 13-Jul-07 00:53:58

I'd just call and say you've moved, you're no longer at that address

I don't think its a problem to have childrne's account in the uk when you don't actually live there. they won't take the money away either

CalifrauniusFudge Fri 13-Jul-07 00:54:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hana Fri 13-Jul-07 00:57:53

they won't need to know that though
just go with the - currently living abroad , and give them those details (really they won't take your money!)

CalifrauniusFudge Fri 13-Jul-07 01:00:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Twirl Fri 13-Jul-07 01:01:47

Hi Califrau
I would write to them attaching copies of your passports and explain that when you moved abroad you used your parents address as this was the only stable one as you were moving around alot. Ask them what ID they would like your parents to provide to verify their relationship with your children. Write a really nice letter giving all the details and basically put the ball in their court by asking them what docs they will now require. Hopefully the letter will get given to a manager who will be able to deal with it. I wouldn't bother phoning......costs a fortune to listen to crappy music whilst you wait to speak to a an 'oik'!

Albus Fri 13-Jul-07 02:16:19

DS has an account in the UK although he has never lived there and I left about 18 years ago. The address is with my parents too. I would get your parents to go in and explain the situation and find out what the bank actually want, if anything. When I had to call the bank on a different issue I got them to call me back, they had no problem with that. Good luck and don't worry.

CalifrauniusFudge Fri 13-Jul-07 02:20:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Albus Fri 13-Jul-07 02:28:02

Aah, slight problem. Could they telephone? Not sure if the bank would be too helpful but it could be worth a try. Do you have Skype? You could Skype the bank and it would hardly cost you a thing.

CalifrauniusFudge Fri 13-Jul-07 02:34:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Albus Fri 13-Jul-07 02:39:38

No, I've only every used it PC to telephone! Neither my parents or brother have Skype yet I call them all the time.

tinpot Fri 13-Jul-07 03:03:10

I think 0845 numbers work from the US now(in fact our mortgage in the UK is with the principality and I rang them just the other week). Just stick 01144 then the 845. I know the didn't used to work, but now they do (or at least from North Carolina they do)!

No advice on actual letter content - seems odd though???

SpacePuppy Fri 13-Jul-07 07:19:06

We gave power of attorney to my dad when we left South Africa for this exact kind of problem. It is drawn up by a lawyer and signed by all parties, he would in this case simply take the "Power of Attorney" to the bank with his Id docs and that would sort it out.

Sorry this is probably not much help, but might be useful to avoid similar situations in future.

farfaraway Fri 13-Jul-07 21:50:46

I have a similar situation in that I have accounts in the UK registered at my parents address when have not lived in the UK for years. I just told the bank my situation and explained that my parents address was like a 'care of' address which was more stable and have never had any problems. I would not phone but I would write instead as phone calls have a habit of not being formally acknowledged unlike a letter. By the way O845 numbers do work on overseas mobiles but can be very expensive or skype (if you have an internet phone) works too.

CalifrauniusFudge Mon 16-Jul-07 23:17:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: