Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Cheque Stolen? What Can I Do?

(5 Posts)
PotatoOfDoom Wed 11-Jul-07 19:46:51

I sent a cheque to pay for a parrot cage. This was monday of last week. To date the seller of the cage say cheque has not arrived, and so I have decided to cancel the buying of the cage.

I can't get to the bank til Friday. I'm going to cancel the cheque. I'm hoping it hasn't been stolen, but over a week seems a long time for a cheque not to arrive in? If it has been stolen (so banked by someone not the person it was meant for) where do I stand re: the bank and getting any cash back?

TIA

faeriemam Wed 11-Jul-07 20:23:47

the cheque would have to have been tampered with for it to be cashed by someone other then the person named on the cheque....so this would be fraud and the bank will help you with sorting it out.
you can cancel cheques online if you have set up your bank account online....or phone your branch now...dont wait until friday.
goodluck

PotatoOfDoom Wed 11-Jul-07 20:30:09

Thanks

So its most likely just missing? What if the seller has cashed it, but is claiming it hasn't arrived?

faeriemam Wed 11-Jul-07 20:33:33

its probably gone missing.....check your statements..get a print out when you go to the bank on friday...if it shows it was cashed you can tell the seller that you've got proof it was cashed by him and if he denies it then go to your bank and tell them whats happened...they should be able to give you some help with that. ....its very unlikely that'll he'll cash it and then deny it. ....it may be very delayed due to the royal mail saga.

PotatoOfDoom Wed 11-Jul-07 21:07:56

Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: