Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

bank charges

(34 Posts)
hifi Mon 09-Jul-07 12:10:00

i have just recieved an offer of my charges minus the interest, anybody else had this and what did you do?

Tortington Mon 09-Jul-07 12:11:14

mine included nterest - however it was 200 short of the figure i asked for - i thught the money lookedgood so i took it

hifi Tue 10-Jul-07 13:08:05

bump

hifi Tue 10-Jul-07 15:28:27

which bank are you with custardo? im with nat west, the interest is about a grand, i dont know wether its worth persuing or take the money and run?

PinkChick Tue 10-Jul-07 15:30:36

id refuse their offer or at least speak to someone who has been in same situation (maybe on money saving expert if not here?) to see what their normal next move is?

hifi Tue 10-Jul-07 15:36:22

thanks ill try and find something, i know its money i wouldnt have had but they are such theiving b***** i feel like doing it.

Lolly68 Tue 10-Jul-07 16:13:47

hifi - think you can only claim interest if you took them to court which is why they have offered you without it. I would take the money. I was also offered a full refund. Have sent letter back and now just waiting for it to go in my account.

AlbusPercivalWulfricBrianSun Tue 10-Jul-07 16:27:32

Mine didn't include interest but, after rejecting the intial off, we decided to take the second offer.

Tortington Tue 10-Jul-07 16:45:00

the interest was a grand?

that sounds very high - did you use the calculator on moneysavingexpert.com?

its 8% per fee
i am with co-op

hifi Wed 11-Jul-07 08:46:32

i used the interest calculator, i will look into the interest, it sounds familiar that you can only collect it if you go to court, i will loook into it.

TequilaMockinBird Wed 11-Jul-07 08:55:27

Lolly68, congrats on getting your letter through and the full refund!! I'm still awaiting mine . Did the letter come through within the 6/7 weeks they said it would take?

Sorry to hijack

walbert Wed 11-Jul-07 09:14:21

Persevere folks!! h's old a/c with ltsb had over £1k in dif charges over 6 years so, after being told twice they wouldn't give money, i went through small claims court, ltsb defended themselves but now their sols have writen saying with out liability etc ltsb willing to look at negotiating settlement! Pain in arse but worth it n principle!!

Lolly68 Wed 11-Jul-07 10:41:33

TequilaM - that had until the 23 July to respond and the money went into my account today!! I'm rich. Going to now transfer the lot to my new current account with the Alliance & Leicester and going to close Natwest down!! I would phone them and see where you stand which is what I did. Have you got the number?

TequilaMockinBird Wed 11-Jul-07 11:07:52

Well done you!!! The letter i received from them is dated 18th June 2007 so i think they have until end of July to respond , I could really do with the money sooner!! I don't think I have the number, only the 08456090000 number that I use for telephone banking!

They didnt close your account down though did they? [scared emoticon]

I'm thinking that they'll probably take away my overdraft facility which will mean I won't see as much of the money anyway!

Lolly68 Wed 11-Jul-07 11:24:38

TM - the number to phone is 0800 015 4212 and then listen to prompts. Get a case number off them because they dont state that in the letter and the I would just wait a few weeks and phone them again. The offer letter they sent to me basically says they agree that their charges are fair and reasonable... etc etc and that in future if we try and claim back any more then they see no future in offering banking facilities to us etc etc so they dont close your account down and dont take away ODs either unless you reoffend - hope that makes sense!!

Biglips Wed 11-Jul-07 11:28:21

<<hjjack>> sorry to butt in!...

i need to take my bank thru the small claims court...how do i go about that? thanks

Lolly68 Wed 11-Jul-07 11:42:43

Biglips - have written to the bank yet? If not, you have to have firstly written to them saying you want money back before you take them to court - that is the final stage.

If you look on www.moneysavingexpert.com - you will get all info you want there.

TequilaMockinBird Wed 11-Jul-07 14:31:34

Lolly thanks so much, I will contact them at the end of the week and hopefully push them along a little.

Such a relief to hear that they probably wont take away my OD facility - I too could be rich soon

will keep you posted!

harleyd Wed 11-Jul-07 14:41:51

i received a letter from the halifax a few days ago saying they had looked into my charges and are satisfied that the charges have been correctly applied to my account.
has anybody else had this? i am now sending a letter threatening them with court, is this the next step?

Lolly68 Wed 11-Jul-07 14:50:08

harleyd - say that you do not accept they are fair and reasonable and that you are taking it to the next step. good luck.

harleyd Wed 11-Jul-07 15:10:13

thanks lolly68, think they are trying to drag it out.

Biglips Wed 11-Jul-07 15:10:38

yes i have Lolly but not heard for a while as ive completely forgotton all about it to be honest!....thats the website ive been looking for !! as couldnt think what it was called
many thanks
xx

TequilaMockinBird Thu 12-Jul-07 11:20:19

Rang Natwest this morning.

They are still 'assessing' my claim and I should have an offer through by 7th August!

Keeping everything crossed

Lolly68 Thu 12-Jul-07 11:28:42

TM - that's what they said to me a few weeks ago. You will probably have offer letter by end of July!! Keep me posted. How much you claiming??

TequilaMockinBird Thu 12-Jul-07 14:14:18

Hopefully I will have it through by end of July and thus will not have to bankrupt myself to pay childminding fees for summer holidays .

I'm claiming £2.6k including the interest. I think its about £2.2k without interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now