Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

car insurance after an accident

(6 Posts)
cece Sun 08-Jul-07 20:18:52

DH has had a minor accident in his car this weekend. No one injured but his car is a bit bashed up. Will need repairing as will the other car involved.

Do I have to tell my insurers as he is a named driver on my insurance? or wait till it needs renewing.

tissy Sun 08-Jul-07 20:21:15

tell them, even if you're not claiming, it would count as a "material fact"

tissy Sun 08-Jul-07 20:23:38

oh hang on, it was his car. no, don't think you need to tell them, as the car insured isn't damaged.

cece Sun 08-Jul-07 20:24:43

I wasn't sure. It his car that is damaged not mine. He has obviously told his insurers but just wondered if I had to tell mine now or just at renewal.

Mummy2TandF Sun 08-Jul-07 20:28:09

Hiya, If he had the accident in his car (which is insured in his name) you will need to tell his insurance company right away but if he is a named driver on your policy aswell (on a different car - your car) You only have to tell your insurance company at renewal. I hope that this helps.

cece Sun 08-Jul-07 20:31:48

Thanks that is just what I wanted to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now