Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Contents Insurance - Need recommendations for providers please

(11 Posts)
Earlybird Sat 07-Jul-07 08:42:48

I need to get some quotes for contents insurance. Does anyone have a company they can recommend? Obviously, want one that has competitive rates, and which would be reasonable to work with in the event of a claim.

Thank you.

lulumama Sat 07-Jul-07 08:43:05


Earlybird Sat 07-Jul-07 10:44:05

Thanks for that - is that who you use?

Anyone else have other suggestions?

lulumama Sat 07-Jul-07 13:27:32

i do use them and they were £300 per year cheaper than Zurich, who we had used previously.

peanutbear Sat 07-Jul-07 13:34:32

Hiscox are great in the event of a claim
aand have loads of free extras

peanutbear Sat 07-Jul-07 13:35:14

sorry lulu should have read all posts I have used them for about 5 yrs if thats any help

Beelliesebub Sat 07-Jul-07 13:58:38

Tesco.... They do our buildings and contents for £25 a month. Building is insured for up to 1'000'000 and contents 40'000 with accidental damage and loads of extras.

Earlybird Sun 08-Jul-07 08:10:11

What's the process for obtaining contents insurance? Do I just call up and say 'I'd like X amount to cover contents please'? Do I need receipts/proof of value of specific expensive items? Does anyone from the insurance company need to come look around the flat and recommend/evaluate amount of coverage?

Embarrassed that I don't know answers to this, but as I live in a purpose built 3rd floor flat, I haven't bothered with contents insurance before. Chances of being robbed or flooded are minimal. Building converted about 10 years ago so wiring/plumbing/roof newish, so reduced chance of fire/leaks, etc. Still - it's one of those things I know I should have........

letsgo Sun 08-Jul-07 09:08:49


I always do a compare insurance before I buy. Try out this link

It means you can find the cheapest available and because you do it online, all the questions come up that you need to answer. (not sure if every single company is on this though). I did get my insurance £200 cheaper than last year

Hope this link works.

StressedEric Sun 08-Jul-07 09:11:02

Try the ARLA website - they should have a list of contents insurers for rented properties.

Earlybird Mon 09-Jul-07 07:00:33

letsgo - thanks for the website. Will check it out.

stressederic - ARLA website good. They mention 'specialist insurance agencies for landlords that offer contents cover' but don't offer a list of relevant agency names. Will research a bit more...unless someone here might know of/recommend an agency? Please??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now