Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Where is the best place to invest the £250 trust fund money for buba?

(26 Posts)
MunchiesMama Thu 05-Jul-07 20:57:25

Hi everyone

Where is the best place to invest the £250 trust fund money for buba?

Thanks for any advice xx

Waswondering Thu 05-Jul-07 21:00:24

Depends on what you want.

We chose an ethical provider that doesn't invest in eg nuclear/chemical weapons etc.

Also depends on if you want it savings only or put into the stockmarket.

Good luck!

NoodleStroodle Thu 05-Jul-07 21:01:09

With me!

LyraB Thu 05-Jul-07 21:01:12

After lots of research I opted for the Nationwide. Can't remember why now, but it's now worth about £280 after 2 years.

LyraB Thu 05-Jul-07 21:02:07

Actually, I think they were offering the best rate at the time. Ours is savings only.

trippleshot Thu 05-Jul-07 21:08:20

Seeing this isn't going to mature for 18 years you're better off putting into equities rather than savings. Over this period of time, the return from the market is likely to be much better. If you choose an index linked fund, the fee will be lower and the return will track the market so you're not relying on muppets like me to get right all the time. I'd put into a global/or european tracker fund which should provide a good diversification of stock/currency/country risk.

EffiePerine Thu 05-Jul-07 21:10:41

Bugger - need to do this (DS is 9 months ).

LyraB Thu 05-Jul-07 21:10:42

Eh?

Barcelonababe Thu 05-Jul-07 21:24:24

my dd is one year in a couple of days and oooooopsy I haven't done anything with the cheque.... do i need to do it whithin the first year or birth or can i decide when I put it in use?xx

EffiePerine Thu 05-Jul-07 21:27:03

don't they take it away and invest it in something official after a year? Not sure...

god knows what will be happening when he starts school

LyraB Thu 05-Jul-07 21:40:05

Eh? was at trippleshot, didn't understand much of her post
i think they do invest it for you after a while if the money is unclaimed.

trippleshot Thu 05-Jul-07 21:45:03

Was it my English or the concepts you didn't understand? I can break it down if you want..

littlelapin Thu 05-Jul-07 21:45:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LyraB Thu 05-Jul-07 21:46:18

I'm just not very good with the whole finance thing.

LyraB Thu 05-Jul-07 21:48:15

LL, do you know what it's worth now? DS2's has gone up £30 in 2 years in a savings account, which doesn't strike me as that good. Should I move it? Can I move it now or is it stuck where it is?

trippleshot Thu 05-Jul-07 21:48:23

Beautifully put littlelapin

Chamomile Thu 05-Jul-07 21:52:35

Yet another item to add to the to do list.

DD is 15 months and I haven't done this yet.

EarlSinclair Thu 05-Jul-07 21:53:30

BUBA?????????????????????

WTF

babyboo1and2 Thu 05-Jul-07 21:56:53

just to let you know that i was listening to that money expert guy (martin lewis?) on radio 2 a few weeks ago and he gave a little warning/reminder that the money actually belongs to the child (not sure if straight away or once 16/18) so if you are intending to use it for something sensible like uni fees etc and your dd/ds wants to spend it on something nonsensible then you dont get a say in it

EarlSinclair Thu 05-Jul-07 21:57:28

er yes.

LyraB Thu 05-Jul-07 22:01:46

DS2 thought his name was bubba when he first learned to talk.
Woman in shop: what's your name?
DS2: Bubba.

MunchiesMama Fri 06-Jul-07 09:28:38

Thank you for all the replies! Don't worry EarlSinclair I haven't called DD buba (just a pet name!)she is Katie.

EffiePerine don't worry DD is 5 months, I need to pull my finger out!

clutteredup Fri 06-Jul-07 14:48:41

I invested mine in the co-op one- its got another name which escapes me -oops- if you type in cooperative bank it'll come up - maybe cis? I just though if i was investing in dd's future i should do it ethically as it will be her world when she's grown up. she probably won't thank me for not investing in oil companies which will make her loads of money but i just wanted her to have a nice planet to grow up on.

pammo Fri 06-Jul-07 18:53:11

We've chosen the Children's Mutual non stakeholder CTF called the Baby Bond Choice and selected the INVESCO PERPETUAL INCOME FUND for both our children.

hana Fri 06-Jul-07 19:11:34

I shall be suggesting very heavily what my own children will do with 'their' money
I've also put it into the Children's Mutual fund - have shoved it there and forgotten about it. not adding anything to it at all. have other funds for that. if they do go off the rails and all of that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now