Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Housing boundaries

(7 Posts)
astonishedandamazed Mon 02-Jul-07 10:32:46

When standing at your back door looking out, which side of the fence is technically yours??

I always thought my fence was to the right? But my neighbour is kicking up a fuss saying mine is the left

Any help would be appreciated

Carmenere Mon 02-Jul-07 10:34:33

Ours is to the left

lizziemun Mon 02-Jul-07 11:55:18

It depends on your deeds when you bought the your house.

Mum moved last year and all her fences are hers.

throckenholt Mon 02-Jul-07 11:56:17

we only have a neighbour on the right - but that fence is ours not hers.

Freckle Mon 02-Jul-07 12:02:00

You need to look at your house deeds. There should be a plan which will show ownership of fences.

As a guideline it is usually the left-hand side when you look out of the back of the house, but you really need to check your deeds to be sure.

When you purchased, did your solicitor give you a photocopy of your deeds? If not, contact them and ask for a copy.

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 02-Jul-07 12:09:06

I was told that the side that the fence posts are on tends to be the person who owns it. Although we've since discovered in our deeds that all our fences are apparently 'party fences' which I'm assuming means shared but not entirely sure!

CayKon Mon 02-Jul-07 12:24:35

My dh owns a fencing company and as a rule unless your deeds say otherwise the left hand fence is usually yours along woith the back fence

Fencing posts don't usually indicate much as the person paying for the fence usually specifies if they want the boards in or out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: