Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

how long notice on job

(3 Posts)
Babyramone Fri 29-Jun-07 13:53:31

Hi wonder if anyone can advise on this.
I have a saturday job. I get paid weekly and appear not to get sick pay.
I haven't signed an offical contract yet (been there since february)so when had a holiday wasn't paid for it. I have started a much better position on a sunday so have decided to give up the saturday job, but apparently the head office says I have to work 8 weeks notice.
I think hardly.
What are the legal aspects on this.

RibenaBerry Fri 29-Jun-07 13:57:47

If you don't have a written contract, it's one week's notice. BUT there's naff all they can do if someone in your situation fails to work it. They can sue for damages if a key person walks out without notice and causes financial damage (e.g. a whole deal collapses because she's gone), but I hardly think that leaving your saturday job one week early will bring down the shop.

Also, even without a written contract, you are entitled to pro rata paid holiday. If they give the statutory minimum paid holiday, that's four weeks a year for a full timer, so four Saturdays for you. If your holiday was shorter than that, tell em you're thinking of claiming for your unpaid holiday pay!

whomovedmychocolate Fri 29-Jun-07 13:58:38

If you haven't agreed to a notice period you can just bugger off when you like.

Good luck in the new job - btw it would be a good idea to tell the old job ASAP though - so you don't leave them in the lurch - they may be doing a reference for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now