Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits and when they want more info

(10 Posts)
isheisnthe Sun 24-Jun-07 18:14:34

As we are recently seperated I contacted the tax credits people to change my award to a single claim, filled in all thier sodding forms, trusthfully as well, and now they are asking for additional info, they want 3 months payslips, 3 months child care fee invoices, 3 months bank statements plus other stuff. I have no problem really with giving them this info, but do not see the need for the banks statements, as to methis is like letting a stranger read your diary!

Do you think I could block out all the mundane things like my tesco shop, petrol and just highlight the payments in (from work) and the childcare fees? The other problem I have is that Exp used to ut hou keeping money in my account, which he has stopped from this month, but will still show on the statements, I am worried they will think i was trying to con them by not declaring it?

Has anyone had any experience of this?

TwoToTango Sun 24-Jun-07 19:14:19

have you asked them why they need to see bank statements?

isheisnthe Sun 24-Jun-07 19:21:19

no, I only got the letter yesterday - I presume they think I am lying about my income, but surely, if I show them my wage slips, child care bills and p60 for this year that would surfice?

TwoToTango Sun 24-Jun-07 20:04:00

I don't know. I've haven't had any experience of them asking for anything - or heard of anyone I know having to provide all of that. I'd ring them and ask why they need bank statements, explain you have all the other "proof" that they need and ask if that would suffice - oh and whoever you speak too make sure you get their name

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 24-Jun-07 20:35:44

I think they spot check every so many claims that go from joint to single to check they are not fraudulant - the bank statements will confirm no partners wages etc going in or that you havent gained a large amount of capital from the split. I remember a friend having to send the same documents off.

agnesnitt Sun 24-Jun-07 23:57:47

You ex partner will inevitably be subjected to similar if you are going to be claiming through the CSA. It's a case of grinning and bearing it. And smirking at the thought of people wondering what the hell you spent seventy pounds on in Ann Summers three months ago*

Agnes

* Hypothetical situation, but I'm sure it's happened to somebody afore today

isheisnthe Mon 25-Jun-07 07:34:59

true - no, none of his wages have gonein - but there was house keeping money that was going in but hehas now stopped - do I point that out do you think?

isheisnthe Mon 25-Jun-07 10:24:33

why do you think they want utility bill and sky bills?

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 25-Jun-07 10:30:20

I assume the utility bills are just to show everything is in your name and not joint - i know its a pain sending everything in but at least it shows they do check new claims to protect against fraud. If you give them a call, im sure they'll explain the reason things are needed.

isheisnthe Mon 25-Jun-07 11:07:45

BUT THEY (sorry) are still in his name and being paid by him? Until we have sold and reached a financial agreeement - h is not giving me personally any money tho

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now