Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.


(7 Posts)
MrsWho Fri 22-Jun-07 21:36:28

I have been doing some odd bits of support work and been paid direct payments money via the childs parents , I assumed they were paying Natinsurance/tax (most of the others I know do ) but today I got a P46 to fill in , any suggestions?

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 22-Jun-07 21:39:10

Not sure what your question is - sorry - can you clarify a bit

somersetmum Fri 22-Jun-07 21:39:29

Who gave you the form? The parent?
A P46 is a form an employer operating PAYE gives to an employee who does not provide them with a P45. This means that they will be deducting tax and ni from your wages.

MrsWho Fri 22-Jun-07 21:49:43

Parent gave me it, so it means they pay it then? Thats great cos it wasn't that much money and not worth it if I had to do Tax returns!

Sorry VVVQ -I was up at 3am and haven't mademuch sense to day

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 22-Jun-07 21:51:34

If they've given you a p46 then I'd say yes - they are paying you and putting you on PAYE scheme.

I would of course, ask them to clarify.

somersetmum Fri 22-Jun-07 22:26:00

It means you are on PAYE which means:
YOU pay employee NI
THEY pay employer NI
YOU pay income tax
and it is all deducted at source, i.e. directly from your pay

MrsWho Fri 22-Jun-07 22:26:24

Thanks thats great , just got the letter via kids home-school book , and haven't spoken direc tto mum

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: