Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

house/ contents/ car insurance - how are these affected by death?

(6 Posts)
tatt Thu 21-Jun-07 09:39:37

a friend has just died. He was the main driver on his car policy - are other named drivers stil covered or will they have to cancel the insurance and re-insure?

If other insurance was solely in his name does his wife immediately need to reinsure?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 21-Jun-07 12:42:37

Your friend needs to contact the insurers, they will normally grace a transfer for the same price but if they don't know, they will not honour the insurance policies.

evenhope Thu 21-Jun-07 14:25:16

If the main driver dies, the policy is no longer valid. Found that out a month after my dad died and my mum had been driving round with no insurance. (she'd never been insured in her own right after 40 years of driving so had no no claims discount )

whomovedmychocolate Thu 21-Jun-07 14:29:33

Evenhope - that's appalling, I called a friend's insurers when her husband died and they transferred the NCB!!!

tatt Thu 21-Jun-07 15:03:01

think they might grant the poor family a grace period. Their husband/father isn't even buried yet . But I suspected that was the case.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 21-Jun-07 16:50:31

They did when I asked - but it was only two months. But ask them to transfer the no claims bonus anyway. They can only say no.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: