Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Someone crashed into me in car park. I have his details. What is best course of action?

(10 Posts)
potatosalad1 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:53:14

Hi,

Went shopping earlier and when I got back to my car (which is only 2 weeks old!) I found a big scratch down the side. After reviewing the CCTV with security, we found who did it and were able to track him down and speak to him. He admitted fault and gave me his details (would've been nice if he could've left a note in the first place!).

What is my best course of action from here? It's a brand new car and I don't want it to be anything less than perfect (it's a lease deal so I may get charged down the line if not). I've been trying to research online and I'm left confused about the best next steps. I've seen some things say go to his insurance, some say go to a credit hire company, and some say avoid insurance altogether since it will increase my premiums in future.

If it makes any difference, I'm insured with Direct Line and he is insured with LV.

Thanks in advance!

Pete

WhatAmISupposedToBeDoing Sat 11-Aug-18 19:54:36

Go through your insurance. You'll have a clause where you're supposed to report to them pronto anyway. But they're the best people to chase up. That's why you have insurance.

Aprilshowersinaugust Sat 11-Aug-18 19:56:15

Report to the police. Hit and run.
Been there, you need a crime number.

AlexanderHamilton Sat 11-Aug-18 19:56:41

You need to contact your insurance company.

PUGaLUGS Sat 11-Aug-18 19:57:24

Report it and go through your insurance.

hairypaws Sat 11-Aug-18 19:57:58

Insurance. They can't be trusted as they didn't leave details so definitely go through insurance. I would consider reporting to police too as it will make him and people he knows think twice about doing that again.

Hoppinggreen Sat 11-Aug-18 22:32:56

Police and Insurance

needmorespace Sat 11-Aug-18 23:00:08

definitely police and insurance - he is untrustworthy and has only 'fessed up as you have cctv footage.
As someone whose car was written off with over £11k worth of damage earlier this year whilst parked out side my house by a wanker who simply drove off, I have no sympathy whatsoever if the police pursue this as failing to stop etc - I think it can be punishable by a massive fine or spell in prison. Frankly, i think people like him and the driver who wrote my (also very very nearly new car) off deserve the book to be thrown at them .

guessmyusername Mon 13-Aug-18 15:26:32

I would be interested to know which supermarket. I was recently hit in a supermarket carpark. The other driver claimed 50/50 but my vehicle was stationary. The security guard confirmed it had been caught on cctv. I told my insurance company this and they have spent the last 5 months trying to get the footage from the supermarket who keep quoting data protection.

Bestseller Mon 13-Aug-18 15:35:06

For a small amount of damage and a trusted, friendly other driver I might be prepared to agree to do it without involving insurers but in this situation definitely through your insurance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: