Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much would it cost to get baby christened?

(23 Posts)
1tobleroneplease Sat 11-Aug-18 11:46:07

How much does it cost to have a baby christened at a church? Does it cost to use the church?

YeTalkShiteHen Sat 11-Aug-18 11:48:11

Depends on the church, most ask for a donation, some have set costs.

ParkheadParadise Sat 11-Aug-18 11:52:10

We gave a donation to the church.

OnNaturesCourse Sat 11-Aug-18 14:51:11

No charge at my charge, but made a donation as we also used the hall.

We were 150£ on a traditional christening gown, and about 70£ on food plus 50£ for decor. 🙄

This wasn't including parents outfits.

We could have done it for nothing if we just a christening and nothing after fir guests, and we wore normal clothes.

Our LO was christened as part of the Sunday service.

CraftyGin Sat 11-Aug-18 14:52:30

How much does it cost to have a baby christened at a church? Does it cost to use the church?

The church does not charge for the Baptism. If you want a certificate, it is £14.

sonlypuppyfat Sat 11-Aug-18 14:54:34

Church won't charge you for a christening, if you have a party after that's up to you

ParkheadParadise Sat 11-Aug-18 15:09:27

Our church asked for a donation. We also have to give s donation for a funeral.
We gave £50.

CraftyGin Sat 11-Aug-18 15:11:15

Our church asked for a donation. We also have to give s donation for a funeral.
We gave £50.

Tell me that wasn’t COfE.

ParkheadParadise Sat 11-Aug-18 15:13:01

No RC CraftyGin

CraftyGin Sat 11-Aug-18 15:14:06

That’s rubbish, PP.

Why?

ParkheadParadise Sat 11-Aug-18 15:24:03

It's always been like that. Actually £50 is probably quite cheap. We put it in an envelope and gave it to the priest.
I thought all churches would do the same.

CraftyGin Sat 11-Aug-18 15:29:41

Our church raises money by planned giving, not one offs.

CraftyGin Sat 11-Aug-18 15:30:21

What does the priest do with it -does it go through the accounts?

YeTalkShiteHen Sat 11-Aug-18 15:37:47

CraftyGin yes, it does.

1tobleroneplease Sat 11-Aug-18 15:38:52

Thanks all, I'm happy to donate £50 or whatever I just didn't know if it cost to 'hire' the church like for weddings etc

CraftyGin Sat 11-Aug-18 15:49:20

Thanks all, I'm happy to donate £50 or whatever I just didn't know if it cost to 'hire' the church like for weddings etc

It’s not a good funding model for churches.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Sat 11-Aug-18 15:54:48

CofE churches make no charge for Christenings, but expect a decent amount from visitors into the offertory, and parents wouid normally bung in at least £50 (but if you cannot afford that, no-one minds in the slightest - it's free to join the church)

But current cost if you want a certificate is £14.

ParkheadParadise Sat 11-Aug-18 15:57:24

It goes towards the church funds I would imagine.
We also gave money to the priest when he came to give my mum her last rites 😀

CraftyGin Sat 11-Aug-18 16:00:03

CofE churches make no charge for Christenings, but expect a decent amount from visitors into the offertory, and parents wouid normally bung in at least £50 (but if you cannot afford that, no-one minds in the slightest - it's free to join the church)

We don’t expect anything from visitors. We don’t “pass a plate”. If the parents are part of church family, we would encourage the to be part of the tax-efficient parish giving scheme.

As a church warden, I don’t see a particular uplift in giving on baptism Sundays. It’s not something we promote. Giving should be from church family, not guests.

SparkyBlue Sat 11-Aug-18 16:04:51

The normal expected donation here is €50.00. Some people give more and some people give less.

Ellisandra Mon 13-Aug-18 11:21:49

You want to get your child christened, but you have no idea whether you need to “hire” the church to have it done. Why exactly are you planning to use a Christian rite for your child when you don’t sound like you’re actually a Christian?
Every church is different in day to day running. If you’re a Christian, why not pop into your local church and ask to have a chat? They’ll welcome you and tell you everything you need to know.

OnNaturesCourse Mon 13-Aug-18 11:46:43

Ellis that message was rather harsh sounding.

My child is christened but I don't attend a church regularly, I do however have beliefs and was christened myself.

You don't have to go to church to follow a faith.

Xenia Mon 13-Aug-18 16:19:17

It's tree in most churches. You can make a donation and there may be a charge for a certificate.

Were you or the father of the baby baptised and if so into which religions?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: