Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity Leave & Universal Credits

(6 Posts)
Barrattk2018 Fri 10-Aug-18 13:43:54

Looking to see if anyone had experienced being on universal credits and mat leave.
We've received (partner is working full-time) our first payment this month. It was lower than I had budgeted for but I think that might be down to having 3 weeks of my normal work pay and 1 week of SMP.

Does anyone know how much I will receive next month? When I have received full SMP.

Also when it comes to week 40 of unpaid mat leave, will the universal credits be raised slightly to accommodate the loss of income?

The job centre couldn't give me much information, which makes budgeting for two children rather difficult.

Any little info would be most helpful

Thanks!

Karenoid Fri 10-Aug-18 13:49:25

Yes your payment will be lower this month as you've earned more during the month assessment period. As you'll earn less in the next month your universal credit will go up to reflect it as they base it on your income for the previous month.

Babyroobs Sat 11-Aug-18 21:27:32

Yes it will adjust depending on income and smp coming in over your assessment period. So when you go down to no mat pay at all your UC should increase.

Babyroobs Sat 11-Aug-18 21:33:17

If you are claiming the rent/ housing element of UC then £198 will be discounted from your wages. If you have a mortgage then its £409. Then times the ret by 0.63 to give the amount deducted
I think smp may be deducted pound for pound though.

LG123 Sun 12-Aug-18 01:45:14

SMP is deducted at 63p for every £1, it's maternity allowance that is deducted £1 for £1.

And yes once you are in week 40, your reported income will be less (just your partners) so indeed your UC will increase.

Hope this helps 😊

Bark2018 Sun 12-Aug-18 11:15:58

Thank you all! You've all been most helpful.
I'll hopefully be able to enjoy mat leave a little more now 💕

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: