Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Going shopping later...help

(7 Posts)
sheard Fri 10-Aug-18 11:54:04

I'm sick of spending 100 pound plus on shopping a weekI need help for snacks for a 16 year old that eats loads aldi and asda is my supermarkets of choice 2 adults and even put dog on dry food to cut costs down!!!

isthistoonosy Fri 10-Aug-18 11:56:52

Is the eating because there are nice snacks or do they need the extra food? Can they just have an extra portion of dinner left in the fridge each evening to eat when they get home from school the next day? And then porridge, cereal, toast for supper.

sheard Fri 10-Aug-18 12:27:43

I think he's eating as he's hungry and doesn't always eat meals I buy youghurts and fruit and am thinking to get crumpets or toast he hunts out any sweets or cakes I think I just need to not buy such things!!!!

MrsBartlettforthewin Fri 10-Aug-18 12:42:02

Does he like cereal? As a teen this was always my brothers' go to snack. They both eat loads of th stuff either dry or with milk.

If he likes cakes could you not teach him a basic cake/ snack recipes that he could make ( flap jacks are easy not to expensive to make and would fill him up)

Bigger portions at lunch/ dinner? Insist he has breakfast?
My kids are only small but it always takes me a little bit of time to catch their portion sizes up when they have had a growth spurt.

Passthecake30 Fri 10-Aug-18 16:37:21

How about cooking lots of baking potatoes for him to heat up with beans/cheese/tuna on the top?

Teach him how to cook pasta and sauce.

Cheese on toast, with a chunk of ham under the cheese or a stack of pancakes was my go to when I was having my growth spurts (I grew to 6ft which was hungry work!)

InDreamland Fri 10-Aug-18 17:24:40

Toast and cereal were good for filling me up when i was a hungry teen and there cheap. Protein is also good filling food - get a whole chicken and roast it and store in the fridge, keeps for a good 4-5 days but will be eaten before then.

Chalady Sat 11-Aug-18 17:07:13

Make your own flapjacks and buy bananas, natural youghurt, honey, coconut milk & strawberries to make your own smoothies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: