Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

So how do you know which websites are ok to buy from?

(5 Posts)
WideWebWitch Wed 30-May-07 12:20:48

I just bought Yu Gi Oh cards from a website (ds found the site) and then realised (having ordered) I hadn't checked anything about them. The phone no was an answering machine (saying the co name) and I feel better for having just called Companies House and checked that reg no is that company/address match and I suspect it is all ok but is there a particular body/thing you can check?

What do you check before you buy anything online? TIA.

Ceolas Wed 30-May-07 12:35:48

Usually just check it's secure before paying.

Astrophe Wed 30-May-07 12:41:59

I just check for the 'https' at the beginning of the url before paying...other than that...? I guess you can't really know.

Wotznotreallyhere Tue 26-Jun-07 19:29:27

There are legal requirements for websites.
Should have email address and geographic address (not a PO Box).
If the business is a limited company, the registered office address must be included.
The company registration number should be given and the place of registration should be stated.
VAT number must be stated if the company is registered for VAT. Even if the website is not being used as an e-commerce website.
The above is now a legal requirement for all limited companies.
It is also considered best practice for any company or sole trader trading on the web.
This legislation comes under the First Company Law Amendment Directive.

There are some more details and if you have time to read through this link, (lenghty). here
Companies in the UK must include certain regulatory information on their websites and in their email footers before 1st January 2007 or they will breach the Companies Act and risk a fine.

I would stay away from any website that only provides a mobile number, even if they supply an address.

MaloryTowers Tue 26-Jun-07 19:36:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now