Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

MLM Bot Watch 41 - Forever Living charity giving, are MLMers using charities to increase their CC's while making it look like they are being charitable?

(941 Posts)
Whiterangey Wed 27-Jun-18 19:38:18

Are charities being used by MLMer's to gain CC's, gain new leads, and get rid of stock?

Here is an example of a top Forever Living Business Owner in the UK taking advantage of a charity.

It may look like she is doing something good for the charity but she isn't. The charity will be getting 20% of profits. The business owner, the current UK number 2 in Forever Living, who recently picked up a $420,000 cheque at the Forever Living global rally in Dallas is just getting her Case Credits (CC's) up, and hoping to get new leads to sign up under her.

For everything that she sold Forever Living will have taking the biggest cut, then the business owners upline will have taken a cut, and then the business owner herself. Her profit will be very small and then she was only going to give away to the charity 20% of that. It could be as little as £10, probably a lot less, despite the members of the group spending hundreds of pounds with her. I hope she had the decency to at least add to it. For a 'charity night' where someone who has received multi-million dollars in cheques, and received $420k two months ago you'd expect at least 3 figures to be donated. 20% of her profits from that night will have been ridiculously small.

The charity will be getting even less as you can see she is running special offers which will come out of her profit, reducing the amount available to the charity even more.

As you can see in one of the screenshots someone in the local area of the charity attempted to warn the charity that the business owners motives may not be as charitable as it seems and the business owner wants to take the discussion away from public view, and then deleted the reply instead of giving a reply to show that the poster was wrong. She can't show the poster is wrong as the poster is right so instead chose to make it all go away.

The screenshot of a slide is one used by someone in the business owners downline, who correctly refers to the charity night as 'a launch' which is what it was, it wasn't for charity, it was for the business owner to sell her products and hopefully get some new recruits to her business.

The same business owner last year set up a justgiving page for donations to make up 'Positive Packs' to give to those suffering with breast cancer.

"The cost is 20 pounds which is non profit making and the pack value is worth far more. This will fund a Positive Pack containing Forever Toothgel, Aloe lips, Ever Shield Deodorant, fast break bar and some woolly socks and to every pack I will personally add a heat lotion, an aloe gelly and a herbal blossom tea sachet and an aloe to go."

So the donations will be used by the business owner to buy the items through her own account where she will make a profit from receiving a percentage of what is spent. She will also receive case credits from that. The case credits she received from sending out these Positive Packs will have gone towards her getting the $420k cheque in Dallas in April. So non-profit is not true as the business owner will be profiting in two ways.

The items can also be bought for a LOT less elsewhere, a tube of toothpaste can cost £1 from a supermarket, a stick of deodorant the same. I also wouldn't call toothpaste and deodorant something that anyone pampers themselves with, they are necessities.

The business owner will have used Forever Living products in the bags despite the recipients getting a lot less, and no luxury items, because she benefited herself from doing so. She also would have been able to, and did, use the Positive Packs to advertise Forever Living Products, and at least some of them were given out at a big presentation where the business owner would have been able to present her business opportunity there, some of whom are very vulnerable.

dadandmum Wed 27-Jun-18 19:50:45

First post!
I am seeing less and less in the selling groups for a while, and then all of a sudden they start jumping into the community groups on peddling the rubbish.

Bovneydazzlers Wed 27-Jun-18 20:07:58

Well done that poster! WhiteRangy if you have his/her deets can you point them in this direction?! They would fit in (and I want to hear what the pm said!)

BangingOn Wed 27-Jun-18 20:43:39

Great opening post White.

Homeschool is in overdrive at the moment with more posts from her in my feed than I’ve ever seen. It could be a change of settings on her part from ‘friends’ to ‘followers’, or she could be chasing Stockholm qualification (if it isn’t too late). Is her husband FL also?

Tizzlebizzle Wed 27-Jun-18 20:56:00

I'm also guessing maths isn't her strong point because I'm struggling to work out the unit cost of a bottle of gel if 3 costs £37.20 and I'm getting 1 free but somehow saving over £22??? It's bollocks however you look at it. That deleted comment makes me so happy.

Lonelybutnice Wed 27-Jun-18 21:22:27

Place marking :-)

Whiterangey Wed 27-Jun-18 21:48:37

I would just like to share again the exact words from our hero, the one who replied to Uber:

"Can I please urge anyone considering taking up these offers in order to support The breast cancer charity to source their products for cheaper elsewhere and donate the difference instead? Or maybe don’t buy anything you don’t actually need and donate the full amount directly to Breast Cancer Charity? Either way the charity will receive more money and you’ll avoid sending cash into a product based pyramid scheme. I’m so angry at multi-level marketers who play on people’s good nature and make it seem like they’re helping a charity when actually they are the ones who benefit the most. And I’ve donated myself this morning, it’s easy to do by text, just send BFSC20 and the amount you’d like to donate (minimum £1) to 70070."

So there is a way to donate the charity in question if you are financially able to do so. Hero was awesome in her reply to Uber and she did a great thing by donating and urging others to donate properly so didn't want that lost as the screen shot of it is rather small.

Uber deleted the post and therefore deleted Hero giving details on how to donate and encouraging others to donate. Not only has she screwed over a charity, more than once, but stopped real donations. Nice.

ArbunneHun Wed 27-Jun-18 22:18:19

Hero is one of us already. I know her and she’s part of the MLM Resistance.

JaniceBattersby Wed 27-Jun-18 23:20:27

Well done that woman. It’s really hard to stick your head above the parapet IRL because of the inevitable backlash (botlash). Good for you.

Grrrrinch Wed 27-Jun-18 23:21:28

@Whiterangey super starting post - thank you ❤️

SSDGM Thu 28-Jun-18 00:43:50

I honestly think with every day the MLM resistance movement is gaining new ground. People are no longer too polite or too uninformed to actively challenge bots who, in every single case, tie themselves up in “pyramid schemes are illegal” knots.

Every person that gets put off joining one of these schemes is a win. And those wins are growing every day.

You’re all fucking incredible.

SSDGM Thu 28-Jun-18 00:49:20

And yes, looks like Broke is getting impatient with Hempworx and their none delivery of his magic snake oil.

Surely if CBD oil is available on prescription in the future it will take it clean out of the hands of MLM companies?

BangingOn Thu 28-Jun-18 06:53:26

I’m so pleased my JOB doesn’t make me do 6am Power Hour Zoom calls every bloody day. I’m looking at you Juice Plus Team Rhino hmm

Hero- you are exactly that. You expressed yourself so eloquently.

CheekySmile Thu 28-Jun-18 07:30:07

It was me who replied to Uber, but I’m not a hero, I just said what any of you would say and gave £10 to charity.

When @Whiterangey posted that this had happened in my home town it fired me up more than usual. I’m an active member of my local community and I’ve been involved in the anti-MLM movement for many years. I don’t care about outing myself. IRL my stance on it is well known.

Uber did PM me. She said she was upset at my comment and said that I didn’t even know her. She told me she had a friend being supported by this charity (so wouldn’t you want that charity to receive as much money as possible?) and that she’d donated 300 packs worth £50 for its members. She asked me not to judge someone without speaking to them first.

I refuse to have this discussion by PM. Why talk
about it in private if you have nothing to hide? So I replied to her back on the FB post (see screenshot).

She sent me another PM saying she wasn’t prepared to have an argument on the post and to have a great day. Then she sent me another message “By all means call me if you want to be civil” and left her mobile number.

Then the post got deleted.

This won’t end here for me. I’ve had an idea for a community project to help charities and independent businesses in my town. Non-MLM of course. And I’m going to contact as many of our town and city councillors as well as my MP and really try to get the ball rolling on awareness.

Thanks for the support vipers, you all rock.

Cistersaredoingitforthemselves Thu 28-Jun-18 07:57:42

@CheekySmile - rakes rule wink

9dartfinish Thu 28-Jun-18 09:47:46

Looks like Elle Beau's Facebook page has been the victim of a mass reporting by hunbots as It's currenly unavailable.

dickiedavisthunderthighs Thu 28-Jun-18 09:49:02

Great new thread and awesome raking @cheekysmile xx

Whiterangey Thu 28-Jun-18 11:08:27

With regards to @CheekySmile post about the PM, where Uber talks about the packs, I did put about the packs in my OP, but will share it again.

You will never believe it, but she profits from those as well, and the packs she 'donated' last October will have gone towards her $430k cheque she received in Dallas, here is my post:

"The same business owner last year set up a justgiving page for donations to make up 'Positive Packs' to give to those suffering with breast cancer.

"The cost is 20 pounds which is non profit making and the pack value is worth far more. This will fund a Positive Pack containing Forever Toothgel, Aloe lips, Ever Shield Deodorant, fast break bar and some woolly socks and to every pack I will personally add a heat lotion, an aloe gelly and a herbal blossom tea sachet and an aloe to go."

So the donations will be used by the business owner to buy the items through her own account where she will make a profit from receiving a percentage of what is spent. She will also receive case credits from that. The case credits she received from sending out these Positive Packs will have gone towards her getting the $420k cheque in Dallas in April. So non-profit is not true as the business owner will be profiting in two ways.

The items can also be bought for a LOT less elsewhere, a tube of toothpaste can cost £1 from a supermarket, a stick of deodorant the same. I also wouldn't call toothpaste and deodorant something that anyone pampers themselves with, they are necessities.

The business owner will have used Forever Living products in the bags despite the recipients getting a lot less, and no luxury items, because she benefited herself from doing so. She also would have been able to, and did, use the Positive Packs to advertise Forever Living Products, and at least some of them were given out at a big presentation where the business owner would have been able to present her business opportunity there, some of whom are very vulnerable."

I did add up the retail cost of what the money donated will be buying, and it came to something like £19.50, so not only did Uber profit as people gave her full retail cost for the products and she would have received a percentage of that back, but she also profited about 50p from every £20 that was donated.

If she did indeed put together 300 packs as claimed in the PM to @CheekySmile then she would have profited £150 just from all those 50p's or whatever it was, even 20p would have seen her profit £60.

Twentytwentyhindsight Thu 28-Jun-18 11:30:14

Quite apart from the use of various 'charity schemes' that are simply clever ways to shift products, another recurring theme seems to be how top bots get others to fund their charitable activities, but claim the 'virtue credits'.

In Uber's case it was either the 'sponsored slimmer' buying C9s, or people buying the pamper packs.

I believe that the same applies to BS's activities in impoverished parts of Africa, for which she received much adulation in Dallas. My understanding of this is that it is funded by appealing for donations to her downline, rather than reaching into her own - not inconsiderably deep - pockets.

It would be pure churlishness to suggest that those funds will also have enabled BS's travels to her project, where she would have been actively promoting her business opportunity and developing her now lucrative 'African' downline...

dadandmum Thu 28-Jun-18 14:24:07

Yawns accounts ready today or tomorrow?

Whiterangey Thu 28-Jun-18 15:59:39

Her accounts won't go online. It's here end of year on the 30th, but then she has 9 months to publish them at companies house, so we won't get to see them until next year.

She will also have 9 months to pay back this years directors loan account, if she paid last years back.

TracyBeakerSoYeah Thu 28-Jun-18 20:21:46

Why don't these Bots just donate their product directly to the charities? Then at least the bots would be only getting their ccs not profit, recruits etc.
No it would to be selfless to do that & bots aren't known for their unselfishness.

Kathysclown Thu 28-Jun-18 20:24:08

Uber really should tighten up the privacy controls on her FB page. It is far too public to be posting pics of her young children to all and sundry.

If you're reading, Uber - I really think you should have another think about what pictures you post so publicly.

sunsunsunsunsun Thu 28-Jun-18 21:09:04

I think they all should be more careful on open profiles.

From an insurance perspective they're telling people when they're away on hols, what's worth nicking in their house and what cars they own. Madness. confused

Whiterangey Thu 28-Jun-18 22:01:01

Jamberry have shut their doors and told their employees they have no jobs.

The Jamberry 'business owners' may or may not be taken by M Network, but I can't understand what is going on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: