Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

So depressed

(14 Posts)
Dinoraw Wed 13-Jun-18 22:26:32

Looked at our credit card balance today. We relied on it for bills when I was underpaid for months by work. I got the backdated money back. But I had things being needed renewed (TV licence etc). I have no luxuries. We paid off a bit chunk last month and had 100 to pay for the next two months.
All of a sudden its shot up in the past two weeks to over 1,000. We've only gotten a few bits of shopping with it as we're still struggling.
I've totalled It up and it should come up to £500 all together. I don't understand. Now I've got over 1,000 to pay on top of rent, food, etc.
I wish I could say I'd bought luxuries from it. At least I could justify it but I never buy myself anything sad any advice?

Ginger1982 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:28:31

Can you not phone them and ask for info as to what the purchases are for? Could DP have been spending?

Dinoraw Wed 13-Jun-18 22:30:42

Their customer service isn't open til tomorrow.
I don't think so. I begged for him to honestly tell me but I saw all the statements etc. No way he's spent all of that. Stupid things like xbox things which I'm pissed off about but not even to that amount.
I'm just pissed off I have to sell the rest of my jewellery Including keepsakes from my brother who's dead. I'm so pissed off with it and there seems to be no way out now. Im currently waiting for housing benefit as I'm in arrears with rent. I'm so low. I don't know what to do or where to turn to.

balljuggla Wed 13-Jun-18 22:34:19

You're having to sell keepsakes from your brother because your other half bought stuff for the Xbox..?
If you speak to the credit card company they will probably let you come up with a payment plan that's more affordable xx

ivykaty44 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:34:45

I would strongly advise you to get a money health check with the CAB and take all your paperwork with you for credit card, utility bills rent, tv, telephone etc

Dinoraw Wed 13-Jun-18 22:35:54

Would the credit card company work our a payment plan? We pay every three months for the one month. I've got no idea how it got to this amount but I fear I'm stuck with no where else to turn. Even with selling my things on ebay. It wouldn't make much of a dent.

ItchyBites Wed 13-Jun-18 22:35:57

Actually, I'd say you can justify it more because you used it for essentials. If you'd used it for luxuries that would have been a waste.

Can you think of anywhere you could cut down your monthly expenditure, so that you can not only pay the minimum payment but also a bit extra? For example, if your kids have the option of a cooked school meal, pay for that and make it their main meal, and just have a sandwich, soup or beans on toast or something for tea. It would mean that you don't get a main meal, but it wouldn't hurt short term.

Sell anything that you no longer want/need on ebay and immediately pay what you sell for off your card. Could you take in ironing or offer babysitting services or anything? Although the pay isn't huge for those sorts of jobs, they can be done in the evenings when the kids are in bed.

Stinkbomb Wed 13-Jun-18 22:36:32

Have you gone through the statement to work out where the money has been spent? It can be surprisingly easy to build up a credit card balance on bits and bobs as it doesn't feel like real money. Until the balances build up.

Dinoraw Wed 13-Jun-18 22:38:57

Yeah, I've added up all the statements etc. Still doesn't add up to over 1,000
My kids are two under two right now so they don't cost a lot at all really.

LovingLola Wed 13-Jun-18 22:43:10

Have you set up online access to your account so that you can keep a daily check on it rather than relying on monthly statements?

TwinkleMerrick Wed 13-Jun-18 22:45:15

Check out the finance charity step change. They helped me get out of debt. I was £10,000 in debt and they helped me pay it off in 5 years! They are really great and the advisors are really nice.

Dinoraw Wed 13-Jun-18 22:48:30

Twinkle, does it affect your credit score? That's what I'm worried about.

Dinoraw Wed 13-Jun-18 22:48:59

Yeah, it's new day from amazon so we can check it whenever we like sad

Singlenotsingle Wed 13-Jun-18 23:39:26

Several years ago I was made redundant, and worried about my £2000 credit card debt. I didn't think I was going to be able to afford it. I phoned Barclaycard and they were very helpful. They put me on zero % interest, restricted to one year, and reviewed at that stage. The next year (from what I can remember) it was a minimal interest rate. Obviously I had to pay their minimum monthly payment and not allowed to use the card. I managed to pay it off though, although it took 3 years. Maybe phone the credit card company and ask for help?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: