Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Credit card to build credit?

(6 Posts)
KatyaZamolodchikova Wed 13-Jun-18 22:04:26

Hi all.

Historically I wasn’t very good with money (didn’t have much and spent what I did have). This was around 10 years ago. Now I have a good job, good income and good savings. I live with DP, and have done for 7 years, in his house, that he owns, and has a mortgage for. We’re getting married next year, so will have spends coming up. We will have the money for this, about half already and a saving plan to ensure we’ll have the rest. I have other savings too, for longer term plans abs to cover short term emergencies.

We want to move 12-18 months after getting married, and as a FTB I am maxing out my help to buy isa. My credit is pretty good according to MSE’s credit club, but I fall down on not having any credit. At all. DP has a credit card, and we’ve just always used that.

But now I think it’s appropriate to get myself one. I can use it to pay wedding stuff & I know I’ll be able to pay in full everything I spend on it. The only thing is there are so many options and I don’t know what is likely to be the best one. All I wanted t is to be able to put bigger purchases on it, longer term things like holidays, or white goods, for example, and know I can pay it all off straight away.

Any advice or suggestions?!

Notreallyhappy Thu 14-Jun-18 17:22:32

Do a search on made on credit cards. There's a soft search that give a % of what you'll be accepted for.
Make sure you pay it off in full every month as soon as you get the bill.

Notreallyhappy Thu 14-Jun-18 17:23:34

Mse not made x

Alex1738 Thu 14-Jun-18 18:26:43

I use several credit cards - some for personal and some for business. The only sensible way to manage them, IMO, is to have every single one paid in full by direct debit every month. This helps nicely with the cash flow but without ever incurring interest or late payment fees. Of course, I never spend money I don't have but when was that ever a good idea? smile

KatyaZamolodchikova Thu 14-Jun-18 19:40:47

I’m ok with managing it, I think, I’ll never use it for anything I don’t already have the money for & pay it off right away. The bit that’s confusing is how to pick one that’s right for me.

I don’t need 0% balance transfer, as I won’t use that, and I don’t think I need a cash back one, as I won’t be using it frequently or for day to day stuff. It all seems so complicated, I just want a regular credit card!

elf1985 Thu 14-Jun-18 19:42:47

I used to work in banking and a credit card is the best way...but... leave a little on there every month so you pay a minimal amount of interest. It helps to see that you can manage credit long term, not just month to month.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: