Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

House not selling?!

(115 Posts)
carolinep3 Fri 25-May-18 21:57:09

We put our house on the market a few weeks ago, had a few viewings to start with but that has been it. we have had over 3,000 views on right move but no more viewings for a while now.
We have already reduced the price by 10k, and based on the properties of similar size etc in the area it seems to be priced right?
I had it valued by a few estate agents and it is now priced lower than a few valued.
I feel like the photo and advert is good? but just no-one seems to be interested.
I don't know what more i can do?

snackarella Fri 25-May-18 22:09:52

Paste the link and we will tell you!

19lottie82 Sat 26-May-18 01:00:55

An agents valuation is just an estimate. If you’re not having any interest,
Chances are it’s still over priced.

But as suggested, post a link to the listing if you want some honest optinions / suggestions.

carolinep3 Sat 26-May-18 07:06:22

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73108496.html

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Sat 26-May-18 07:14:14

It's not the price, £360k isn't expensive for Brentwood (I'm not far from you OP).
Being honest but hopefully fair:
I would say it's not really a 4 bed is it. Would you have more success marketing it as a 3 bed? I see lots of houses advertised as 4 bed when the 4th is really another reception room. It's quite a small house by the looks of the photos (maybe you need better photos if this isn't the case) so 3 bed may be a better option?
It's a nice house, overlay nicely decorated. I'm not sure about the green living room but it shouldn't be enough to put people off, nothing you couldn't paint over.
What would put me off about your house are the things you can't do anything about - it's mid terrace with no garage.
Hope this is helpful.

felicitywithadultkids Sat 26-May-18 07:17:23

I would paint the lounge a neutral colour and try to make the outside of the property welcoming by putting some nice planters with flowers by the main entrance. I have renovated lots homes and prep many to market. The overall house looks good inside but bit bland outside and lounge too bright. By painting a neutral colour would make it look brighter and larger to the buyers eye. Good luck

Twooter Sat 26-May-18 07:20:45

Does the garden get any more sun?

FowlisWester Sat 26-May-18 07:25:41

I don't like the layout. A bedroom on every floor. Realistically I would only want to be one floor away from a child etc. I think you'd be better calling it a 3 bed tbh... that bedroom next to the kitchen is a bit odd isn't it?

ScreenQueen Sat 26-May-18 07:27:59

A few thoughts:
1) I haven't checked the price, but you need to compare with sold prices not asking prices
2) Layout looks like a 3 bed not a 4 bed (the ground floor room next to kitchen is always going to be a dining room or sitting room, not a bedroom)
3) Presentation of rooms all good except living room which is of polarising style (light paint and rugs on sofa would be a quick improvement)
4) Photo quality good
5) Description spiel - not good enough ...grammatically poor and some really odd turns of phrase....using the word "rear" 3 times is sheer laziness and the ground floor has not converted anything itself, given that it is an inanimate entity hmm
6) Kitchen fabulous, make one of those your front/main photo

Hope that helps.

PS I want that walk in wardrobe

NameChangingSoHeDoesntGetFired Sat 26-May-18 07:31:33

I love the inside of that house! But the outside is ugly (sorry!). But I think the inside is beautiful, I’d want a new bathroom though but for where it is and the price I wouldn’t think that’s an issue.

healthyheart Sat 26-May-18 07:34:26

Another loving your wardrobe!
But I think it is the price!
Gone up four fold since 2000 and 60% in last five years?
Sorry but the housing market can not sustain these increases.
Surely more like £300 ish?
Obviously I don’t know how much you’ve spent in that time on it, as that may have some bearing.
Good luck.

MyOtherProfile Sat 26-May-18 07:34:57

I'd market it with the downstairs room as a dining room or study or family room

MyOtherProfile Sat 26-May-18 07:36:47

Actually I don't understand the layout compared to the pictures. One photo is clearly a dining room but no such thing is marked on the plan. Is the downstairs bedroom already actually used as a dining room?

AJPTaylor Sat 26-May-18 07:41:15

Flicking through the pic I count 2 bedrooms. Thats your issue really. If people are filtering for 4 beds they are unlikely to be looking for a home that size. If they are filtering for 3, do they see yours?

OliviaBenson Sat 26-May-18 07:42:42

I also can't tally the layout with your photos.

The downstairs room should be a dining room, not a bedroom. Which room has all those wardrobes in it? It should be dressed as a bedroom.

The room with the double bed in it looks awkward, with half the bed over the window. Could you put the bed against the wallpapered wall? It make its look small and like you have crammed in your furniture as it is now.

The garden could do with a good tidy.

I don't like the lime green in the living room at all.

Imchlibob Sat 26-May-18 07:43:41

I agree with pp that this is a 3 bedroom home. Also the photos are not good - it is very

MumUndone Sat 26-May-18 07:45:37

Agree, it's a 3 bedroom really, not 4.

Imchlibob Sat 26-May-18 07:47:25

(Oops pressed post too soon)

It is very obvious that the photos have been taken with an extremely distorting lens - that in itself isn't unusual but good estate agent photography is less blatant about it. That combined with the claiming it's a 4-bed house makes the whole thing look dishonest.

sexnotgender Sat 26-May-18 07:53:42

I don’t like the layout either, it’s definitely a 3 bed.

Imchlibob Sat 26-May-18 08:00:13

I think it is over-priced

Here's an almost identical house nearby being advertised at £320k - £40,000 less. The difference being that in this one the downstairs front room is still a garage. I wouldn't have thought the loss of a garage for an extra room is worth £40,000. I don't think you should be asking more than £330,000.

Murane Sat 26-May-18 08:07:35

I only see 2 usable bedrooms in the photos. The 3rd bedroom is a walk in wardrobe so basically I'd have to rip out the built in units and redecorate in order to actually use it as a bedroom. I don't want that hassle. The 4th bedroom is a dining room! My first thought would be that the seller is trying to elevate the price by calling it a bedroom even though it clearly isn't. Also as others have said, painting the living room white and putting some plant pots out to soften the exterior would help.

ShowOfHands Sat 26-May-18 08:10:31

It's not a 4 bed. It's a 3 bed or more like a 2 bed with generous reception rooms. I don't think the layout will suit families with more than 1 child. That would be my issue.

StylishMummy Sat 26-May-18 08:18:13

Hate the colour of the lounge - repaint
Garden ruins it (grass is awful)
Blue spotlights in the kitchen make it look cheap and tacky
Bathroom shots aren't flattering as make it look cramped

Bedrooms and dressing rooms are great and the downstairs generally looks good but I'd make some changes and re-photograph it

NotMeNoNo Sat 26-May-18 08:21:54

I think there are just too many niggles to make it to the top of anyone's list.

It's really only 2 functioning bedrooms. Walk in wardrobe is amazing but not if you want a bedroom. Downstairs room is really a study /dining room, if someone wants to stick a teenager in there they can but then either kitchen or lounge will be crowded with a table.

Garden and outside look neglected and like you spent all the money inside.

Sorry I'd sell the fitted wardrobes and present the house as 3 proper bedrooms.

SenoritaViva Sat 26-May-18 08:23:40

In agreement with others. Three bedroom, change paint in lounge, make outside more attractive - you can take planters with you so not a waste of money. Can you make fences look in better condition?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: