Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Why is it so difficult to find out who paid me

(3 Posts)
LutherRalph1 Fri 27-Apr-18 09:23:34

We've had some money appear in our joint account
A nice round sum, which appeared at 00.00 yesterday with a reference of BCG
This makes me think it's from a company - maybe a refund?
There is no information and Barclays cannot tell me who this has come from. Doesn't help that when I've called their system has been down.
I could just ignore it but I need to know! Also because nobody has our joint account details apart from the bills we pay, I'm curious

DadDadDad Fri 27-Apr-18 10:23:09

Surely your bank can provide you with some information? It may be worth following that up when their system is up.

It's either an error or something you are entitled to but have forgotten about. (I suppose it could be a scam, but it's hard to see how that's going to work - watch out for anyone who contacts you purporting to be from the bank about transferring the money back).

So, if I were in your position, I wouldn't go off spending it straightaway - give it some time for either someone to legitimately ask for it back, or for maybe your memory to be jogged on what it's for. For paying it back if it's an error, there is a process I think banks are meant to follow, so again it might be worth asking Barclays what you should do - wait a week? a month?

DadDadDad Fri 27-Apr-18 10:24:50

BTW, I'm not an expert. I think MSE forums are quite good for this kind of issue, if you get no more joy here.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: