Talk

Advanced search

What is a singles mother?

(71 Posts)
jagosma Fri 27-Apr-18 07:04:01

I'm about to split up with my partner.
I envisage a split with custody 50/50
What sort of effect does that have on me claiming benefit?
I currently work a well pay but part time job what will I get? Am I better of. Getting a low paid job?
Do I have to my LO more that 50% of the time to be a 'single mum'?
If we share childcare will I even be classed as a single parent?
I don't want to be worse off when this split happens.
Confused!!!

motorpink Fri 27-Apr-18 07:09:48

I currently work a well pay but part time job what will I get? Am I better of. Getting a low paid job?

Why on earth?

I would imagine hanging on to a well paid job as a single parent would be rather important. Why would you consider changing to a low paid job?

Love51 Fri 27-Apr-18 07:17:29

My understanding is that the government class the child as living with you if you are the person claiming the child benefit. You and your ex can't both claim for the same child. You don't get any money for being single but you may be entitled to tax credits. There is support with childcare costs I think but someone else can tell you what that might be.

jagosma Fri 27-Apr-18 07:17:52

I have no idea how these things work. What I'm afraid of is that I won't be entitled to anything if i have a part time job but earn 25k. I won't be able to support myself and my LO just on this Alone. My job is stressful and full on so if I'm going to be better off by having a income that is lower and offers me a better quality of life and being entitled to more support from gov then so be it! Im just thinking purely on making ends meet.. Sorry if that offends.

FissionChips Fri 27-Apr-18 07:23:30

25k, you work part time and you only have one child? Can’t imagine you’d be better off relying on the government.

GrooovyLass Fri 27-Apr-18 07:26:12

Well I support myself and a teenager on about £6k less than you! I get CB and £25 per week tax credits.

TheHobbitMum Fri 27-Apr-18 07:26:56

There is a benefits cap of £23K in London/£20K out of London in place so you'd be very foolish to give up the job as you won't be better off getting a low paid job hmm
The website Entitled To will help you

LIZS Fri 27-Apr-18 07:26:58

It will depend on other circumstances - do you own or rent your home, how old is your dc, do you have savings? Your ex will need to contribute child maintenance. Could you downsize your property? It is very unlikely you would be better off earning less and relying on state benefits.

Gazelda Fri 27-Apr-18 07:27:09

I'd go to entitledto.com and play around with some numbers. Put your income in, and see what it comes out with.
I think that earning £25k for part time work is pretty good, and a role you should hang on to if at all possible.

AnnUnderTheFryingPan Fri 27-Apr-18 07:27:55

entitledto.com is very helpful.

GoldenEvilHoor Fri 27-Apr-18 07:30:45

Under universal credit you will be expected to seek ft work so in the long term you would be better to earn the maximum you can in order to avoid being in the uc system.

NapQueen Fri 27-Apr-18 07:31:44

You will get help with childcare costs. You will retain child benefit. As you are 50/50 you wont be eligible for CSA so keep an eye that the 50/50 remains in place.

NewIdeasToday Fri 27-Apr-18 07:31:48

I’m sorry but this is terrible. You do realise that benefits are paid by other taxpayers not the ‘government’. Why would you even think of taking a lower paid job so that other people can subsidise you???

Ginorchoc Fri 27-Apr-18 07:32:02

Would it not make more sense to increase your hours? Changing jobs to a lower salary for government help is an odd consideration?? I’m a single parent, no help or shared childcare working full time. How old is your child? You will be Co parenting.

insancerre Fri 27-Apr-18 07:37:19

You do realise benefits are for those who are unable to support themselves without extra support
I wouldn't class 25kI part time as exactly destitute
I don't earn that much and i work full time

You have the option of working full time of spending less money on your outgoings
Why should I work full time for my taxes to support you in your part time wage?
Unbelievable sense of entitlement

DaisysStew Fri 27-Apr-18 07:44:59

Single parent here, work part time in a low paid job and receive Universal Credit to top me up. All wages and benefits included (inc childcare payments) I come out with less than £19k per year - after tax you would get just over £20k, so no you’d be worse off financially.

jagosma Fri 27-Apr-18 07:49:51

There isn't an option to increase my hours at work to full time in order to earn more. Other that would of been a no brained.
Also, I did say that it is a well paid part time job I never at all said I was destitute. However, I hope you all agree it's still below the national average of 28k and it's certainly not a 35k or 50k job a lot of people have. It's just in the cusp of managing and although I'll manage I will have to pay my partner out of house and now have to support myself and my LO. We own our house and downsizing isn't an option as our house is already as cheap as we could get it. I understand this would fully offend people however I'm just thinking of the best option my family as I wanted to know how it all works. Unfortunately it's easier to get responses on mums net if you use certain language to spike interest.

jagosma Fri 27-Apr-18 07:52:26

Also! Thank you so much for all these really really helpful responses. I just needed to clarify the salary thing and weigh up my options.

insancerre Fri 27-Apr-18 07:53:21

I didn't assume you had the option of increasing your hours at work to full time, but you do have the option of taking on a second job which will increase your income

greathat Fri 27-Apr-18 07:53:28

So your deliberately antagonising people? Nice

cupgate Fri 27-Apr-18 07:53:44

I'd tread carefully op, my sister did a similar thing because she thought she'd be better off (everyone around her was telling her she would be). She really wasn't though, and ended up really struggling for money.

LIZS Fri 27-Apr-18 07:53:50

National average is based on ft hours. Could you find a second job to top up your income? Is your lo of an age to qualify for free childcare hours yet?

motorpink Fri 27-Apr-18 08:00:27

What I'm afraid of is that I won't be entitled to anything if i have a part time job but earn 25k. I won't be able to support myself and my LO just on this Alone.

Surely not hmm

jagosma Fri 27-Apr-18 08:02:16

I'd have to check my contract with work whether I can work a second job as I am a director and it has certain criteria.
Everyone around me is telling I'd be better of too so I just needed confirmation. I wasn't going to do anything rash just yet.. As 25k is a strange in between figure of low and average.

jagosma Fri 27-Apr-18 08:04:16

Also my LO is 3. I pay £60 a week on childcare. I've just got the 30 hours free. So it's been reduced from £150 a week. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: