Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Life insurance - past BPD diagnosis (poss triggering?)

(6 Posts)
Crowdedoh Thu 08-Mar-18 13:12:31

Name changed for this one.

Applied for life insurance (joint policy with my husband). I’m early 40s now, but in my mid-20s I had what I described as a major depression and self-harmed a lot, overdosed etc. I spent a few weeks attending a day hospital. It wasn’t until I was in my late 30s and obtained my medical records that I discovered that at the time I’d been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder - for whatever reason, they’d decided not to tell me this.

I managed to sort myself out by my early 30s and I and my life are both boringly stable now - I’m happily married, and having been through two pregnancies I’ve been interviewed about my mental health in relation to them and come through fine! However, I mentioned the self harm and depression on the ”further details” section of my life insurance application and they’ve asked for my GP’s details to get further information from them.

My question: do insurance companies tend to accept the evidence that people can outgrow BPD, or will it be a permanent mark on my record that’ll prevent me getting insurance?

feral Thu 08-Mar-18 13:55:49

I disclosed on mine that I'd had a PND diagnosis (even though I think it was more just anxiety/shock at newborn!) and they just won't cover me for anything mental health.

If I get cancer fine, they pay out. If I can't work due to depression or whatever they won't cover it.

DH has anxiety and same for him.

Doesn't matt r how historical you have to disclose - if you hadn't and they got your records for a different claim they wouldn't pay out.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 10-Mar-18 18:13:59

If you feel my disclose the policy is void. Use an insurer that is good with this stuff, speak to underwriting - use an IFA.

Violetrose123 Sat 10-Mar-18 21:37:37

The underwriter will make a decision based on length of time since diagnosis, what sort of treatment you have had/are having and within what timeframe, whether you have made any attempts on your life, whether you have been under the treatment of a psychologist/psychiatrist etc.

You may be charged a higher premium, or they may accept you at ordinary rates if your condition is well managed now.

I’d say it’s unlikely to be an outright decline, based on what you have said above (I used to work for a large life insurer so I know a fair bit about underwriting). The type of thing that would lead to a decline would be a recent (<5 years) suicide attempt, unstable medication, recent hospital admittances etc.

Note that application forms have a mixture of “have you EVER” and “in the last year/3 years/5 years” questions because your health can and will change over a period of time, and it’s not all relevant when underwriting a policy

Violetrose123 Sat 10-Mar-18 21:44:28

Also just to add, it’s very uncommon for exclusions to be applied to pure life insurance (ie a policy that is only covering you in the event of death, NOT an income protection policy, critical illness etc) so the decision will be either accepted, accepted with a higher premium or decline.

If you are applying for a policy with a health/sickness benefit then yes there is a chance that they may accept you with a mental health exclusion

Crowdedoh Tue 13-Mar-18 20:37:55

Thanks for all the responses, especially @Violetrose123. Useful to have a view from the inside!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: