Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

MLM Bot Watch 36 - Those who think it's ok to tell white lies soon become colourblind

(698 Posts)
ReformedBot Sun 18-Feb-18 17:38:18

36 Lies to reel you in...

1. They will tell you that you will have time freedom in this business. Two weeks later they will tell you the business won't work unless you do.

When it's a business event they will not accept excuses for you missing it and will set an example by missing their child's first birthday or telling you a story of how they once shit themselves in white trousers on the front row at success day because they were poorly but didn't want to miss it.... You will know quickly that the unspoken rules is 'no excuses on success day's.

Please add your own below!

fitgirl26 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:04:34

They will boast that their child is ill (and children of Huns get ill a lot) and their home based biz means they don't have to be a failure mummy and can spend the day with said ill child. What they don't say is that they then have to spend the entire day on their phone trying to reel in more victims teamies and trawling through endless #bossbabe memes depicting women with luscious long hair wearing Louboutins.

NatashaShingles Sun 18-Feb-18 18:48:50

Ooh ooh me me.... They will tell you at every single event "use this opportunity as a platform to be able to do what you're passionate about".... then tell you not to start a sideline business. 🙄

LadyMcLadyCrisps Sun 18-Feb-18 19:06:01

Gonna just park myself here, filled a whole mlm bingo card last night after an online exchange with a couple of FB friends sad, it was such a shame, links were shared to help them out, I have done what I can do, but they are way too far down the rabbit hole.

We had.

1) It’s not a pyramid scheme
2) every business is like a pyramid scheme
3) If you dont put the work in it’s your own fault if you fail.
4) you just want me to fail.
5) not ALL mlms are like this.
6) I know loads of people smashing this.
7) We are just brainwashed by the media (my personal fave hmm).
8) I have made loads of amazing friends
9) You are just being negative.
10) but loads of well known business people endorse it!

And on, etc...

It is so incredibly frustrating!!!!

I hate these companies and I want them fucking banned!!! angry

LadyMcLadyCrisps Sun 18-Feb-18 19:17:14

Natasha, I have name changed several times, but I know who you are from earlier threads. What was the moment for you? When did the fog finally clear? When did it finally hit you that these were scams?

SSDGM Sun 18-Feb-18 19:25:27

Your upline are your friends.

(They’re not - you’re there to make them money. Simple)

acatcalledjohn Sun 18-Feb-18 20:06:57

"I help women who have been abused" do you fuck
"10% of our profits go to charity" do they fuck

"All my upline are really successful" are they fuck

cozietoesie Sun 18-Feb-18 20:12:05

Callamia Sun 18-Feb-18 20:15:00

Do you want to empower women?

(Then tell them that they look haggard and sell them a load of over-priced old shit).

Whiterangey Sun 18-Feb-18 20:22:23

Own your own business

SSDGM Sun 18-Feb-18 20:23:51

“Holland and Barratts and Boots wanted to sell our product but we declined because you need one on one guidance”.

Whiterangey Sun 18-Feb-18 20:40:08

Full time pay for part time hours

CheekySmile Sun 18-Feb-18 21:05:16

“It’s a willable income”

Actually I haven’t seen this claim for a long time. And never once did a bot mention that the heir to their MLM fortune would have to keep up the incessant recruitment so the pyramid wouldn’t topple over...

MaximilianNero Sun 18-Feb-18 21:07:07

Long time lurker here. Someone I know from school got sucked into an MLM in 2016, and every post on her FB timeline was about her amazing business #workfromhome, but some months ago she suddenly emerged from the fog and has since deleted every single post about it! If there was a God, I would have praised him and burnt offerings.

Our amazing drinks/creams/assorted overpriced BS will cure you of every ill, from wrinkles to actual cancer, up until we get in trouble with those who regulate advertising, and then we will stop claiming we can cure cancer publicly, but we will still whisper this to our downline.

You can enjoy a fabulous luxury holiday with my MLM but you will be paying for your own flights and meals etc

NatashaShingles Sun 18-Feb-18 21:36:00

@lady .... I dont think there was "a moment" I think it was more noticing one thing after another over a few months. Suddenly what we were being told didnt make sense to me anymore and didnt add up. I then felt I could no longer recruit someone with a genuine opinion that it was a good thing anymore. So I stopped recruiting in June 2016. It took until Jan 2017 for me to stop working it completely. I loved being part of flp, it was a tough decision. It wasnt because of team or upline for me. I felt the company were letting us down where it mattered. The glossy magazine holidays and treats are incredible but the underlying darkness of it all becomes more obvious the higher you go. I would never have gone further as wasnt prepared to be an actress. And thats really what it is at the top x

TooSarcastic Sun 18-Feb-18 23:15:53

You'll be paid every 3 hours.

Actually translating to a very small percentage in "commission" from the sales you made to yourself, for items you don't need and can't sell, will be paid into an account you need to pay to get money out of 3 hours later.

xenu1 Mon 19-Feb-18 08:09:29

Glad that this thread is still on MN - my sincere congratuations to all involved! Wrt OP "36 Lies to reel you in..." this is from an old (1990s) anti-Amway site, and very relevant to FB and the other Scamway clones...

I'll start at point 41! smile
41. You will be told that upline are your friends, and that you should counsel with them when you make any decisions that might possibly affect "your" business. Including, but not limited to, job changes, marital problems, family problems, financial decisions, whether you want to buy a car, etc....(Your leaders know what's best.)

42. You will be told that if this is a cult, at least it's a success cult. And that if it was a cult, everyone in the business would be a diamond. (Oh, Really now! Why then, aren't all those moonies as rich as their leader?)

43. You will be told that when you attend a function out of town, you shouldn't go sight seeing. This takes your attention away from the real reason you are there. (Who's paying for this trip anyway?)

44. You will be told that JOB is a four letter word and that the initials stand for "Just over broke". (Don't quit, you need it to pay for the business!)

45. You will be told that your JOB is a prison and they will help you to escape. (Yeah, they'll encourage you to miss work to attend meetings and functions. Forget about that stupid promotion! You're going to be free any minute!)

46. You will be told that people fail at the business, the business does not fail people. (You will never hear of lines of sponsorship that collapse or people not being able to afford the business after considerable financial losses.)
Does any of this sound familiar? While you are surrounded with all you new Amway "Friends", eating Amway food, using only Amway products in your home, it is hard to see the abnormality of it all. If your upline has done their job correctly, you no longer see friends or family who aren't in the business. Your only socializing is done at WWDB meetings, major functions, seminars, rallies, opens and product pick-up or over Amvox. You will be strapped financially, trying to pay for overpriced products,opens, functions, rallies, seminars, tapes, books, business supplies, Amvox, etc..., and they will tell you again and again, that this is normal. But don't ever talk negatives with crossline or downline! make everyone think you are successful already! Tell lies, live a lie!

GoldenKelpie Mon 19-Feb-18 08:11:12

Thanks for starting new thread Reformed grin. Just for your info you can customise your threads by clicking on the downward arrow in the circle, next to "Talk" at top of page.

When I discovered this little gem it changed everything. I can read a whole 1000 thread on one page, have opening OP's messages one colour (forest green) and mine another (dark lavender) and loads of other little tweaks. Have a play about.

ArbunneHun Mon 19-Feb-18 10:26:44

And don’t forget that success is just around the corner! Keep paying that auto ship, keep paying for the coaching, buy the over-priced planner, spend, spend, spend!

Imagine if you stopped now when success is JUST AROUND THE CORNER! Put it all on the credit card hun. No need to tell your partner - you can pay it off when the money starts rolling in!

ReformedBot Mon 19-Feb-18 10:49:48

Fantastic source xenu1!! Still applies!

entrepeneur Mon 19-Feb-18 17:44:22

The travel MLMs are insanely expensive. Brokebot is signed up to Evolution Travel which is $30 + $69.95/Month, presumably the monthly cost is for a web site or similar. That's a hefty monthly fee to try and recoup from commissions before you start earning any cash!

ArbunneHun Mon 19-Feb-18 17:56:02

Those travel schemes are almost all based on recruitment/membership fees and bots buying their own holidays... meaning they are PYRAMID SCHEMES!

BSintolerant Mon 19-Feb-18 18:07:21

When will they learn?

SSDGM Mon 19-Feb-18 18:33:38

If it’s like the others, Brokebot will need to recruit at least three people then they waiver the $69 a month. I really want to give him a holiday enquiry to do 😃😂

Ladiva1971 Mon 19-Feb-18 18:55:34

Do it SSDGM :P

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now