Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Contributions based JSA - can I turn down an interview?

(11 Posts)
eurgh2018 Wed 14-Feb-18 18:49:38

Just that really.

I've recently been made redundant but other than contributions based JSA I'm not entitled to any other benefits.

We're financially ok (for now) and I don't really need to get another job right away, I'm in a fortunate position where I can wait a while to see if the right job comes along.

I've "signed on" purely so that my NI contributions are paid and there is no gap for my state pension, although I am looking for work and have applied for quite a few roles.

Now here's my dilemma.....

I've accidentally applied for a job through Universal Jobsmatch that isn't what I thought it was, I really don't want to do it and neither do I need to. But I've got a bloody interview!!!

If I decline the interview on the basis that it's not in a sector or industry or anything even remotely related to my skills/career level, will they stop paying my NI contributions ???

I've never signed on or claimed anything before so really don't know how it all works, I'm hoping someone on MN knows and can advise.

Viviennemary Fri 16-Feb-18 17:39:00

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. Depends on the reason you have for turning it down. I don't think they'd stop paying contributions or JSA if you are actively seeking work and don't make a habit of turning down interviews. But sometimes there is no logic to their decisions. IMHO. I'd say that it would be better not to go for the interview than get the job and turn it down. Somebody else might advise differently though.

WunWun Fri 16-Feb-18 17:41:54

It would depend on your reasons for turning it down. Also on what type of jobs you told them you were looking for and whether you have agreed any minimum salary and how the interview you don't want matches with those. Or obviously whether you have the actual experience and skill for the job.

Becca19962014 Fri 16-Feb-18 21:00:17

Unfortunately, no one can give you the exact answer to this.

Problem is you've applied for it using their system so they know you've applied and been offered an interview. If you refuse to go then that can be viewed as refusing to actively seek work, that it's not at a level/in a sector you want isn't likely to be relevant - you applied for it not them.

If they decide to sanction you'll have no NI for that period (could be the entire six months you're eligible).

I'd go and make use of the opportunity to practice interview techniques. More people are interviewed than get jobs, you've no idea why they've offered an interview, think of lots of difficult questions so you're not offered it!

19lottie82 Sat 17-Feb-18 06:12:21

When I signed on a long time ago (15 years?) as I remember it, they gave you a grace period of 3 or 6 months? Before they started really putting the pressure on you.

But obviously things may be different now.

Olga81 Sat 17-Feb-18 09:58:23

I'm in a similar position and have held off claiming job seekers as I don't want to be pressured into taking something that's not suitable.

eurgh2018 Sat 17-Feb-18 14:54:40

It's a minimum wage "process" type job within a production facility, for the last 12 years I've worked in middle/senior management in the professional services sector...... so not exactly a match?!

I actually don't even remember applying but I must have!!!! All I can think is that I've clicked on that one by mistake blush

I'm thinking it's better to turn down an interview that an actual job offer if it came to that though?

The interview didn't come through Jobsmatch, the employer emailed me directly, so I'm not sure the Job Centre would know I have an interview unless they followed it up, but so far I've applied for over 30 so I can't see them following it up?

I'm going to turn it down I think and hedge my bets on them checking up, if they do ask me why I turned the interview down I'll just be honest....

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered signing on now and when I do eventually get another job just make an application to HMRC to back pay my gap in NI hmm

Thanks everyone for replying!!!

Olga81 Sat 17-Feb-18 15:11:52

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered signing on now and when I do eventually get another job just make an application to HMRC to back pay my gap in NI

That's my plan

eurgh2018 Sat 17-Feb-18 16:22:06

Yeah it feels more hassle than it's worth @Olga81 !!

There are literally no jobs on Jobsmatch for my skills/experience but loads on other websites, I feel like I'm permanently sending out applications and then logging into Jobsmatch to "add it to my notes" as proof that I've been looking hmm

LightastheBreeze Sun 18-Feb-18 09:20:21

I was also in the same situation once and was also signing on, in the end it became more bother than it was worth so I stopped signing on

With the gap in your NI contributions it may not matter as you only need 35 years for full pension, I have gaps but still have enough for pension. It is stuff like claiming JSA which needs contributions from last 2 years or something like that.

Olga81 Sun 18-Feb-18 09:30:01

With the gap in your NI contributions it may not matter as you only need 35 years for full pension

Number of qualifying years required has changed at least twice in my memory so not taking any chances

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: